Chapter 12 (and explanation)

A.N. Okay, so I decided that I will start updating this book twice a week until it's completed. I don't have a specific update schedule for the first chapter of the week, meaning I don't have a certain day to post the first chapter in a week so it's really kind of a "when I get to it" thing. I know that the second chapter of a week will ALWAYS be posted on Friday. Don't worry, I'm not pushing myself, I just want to do this. Honestly, it's kinda hard for me to stick to an update schedule, especially for stories that I'm really excited for and have something big planned for. I hope you enjoy the chapter!

—————————————————————————
          Zane snuck back in his window and as he was climbing back in, the lights turned on. Zane looked over at the light switch to see Vylad standing next to it with his arms crossed.

"And where have you been?" Vylad asked.

"I was at a friend's house," Zane answered.

"You don't have any friends," Vylad said.

"Skylar is my friend!" Zane defended.

"Oh, yeah, I forgot about her. So why were you over at her house this late at night?" Vylad asked.

"I needed to talk to her about something," Zane answered.

"Oh. Well, get some sleep. We have school tomorrow," Vylad said.

"Right," Zane nodded.

"Night, Zane," Vylad said.

"Night," Zane said as Vylad started walking back to his own room.

The next morning, Vylad and Zane walked to school together and didn't split paths until they got to their homeroom class. They waved at each other and walked to their seats. Skylar walked in shortly after with Aphmau.

"Bye, Sky! See ya later!" Aphmau waved.

"Bye, Aph!" Skylar waved back.

Aphmau walked over to her seat and sat down and then looked at Vylad.

"Since when are you friends with Skylar?" Vylad asked curiously.

         "Since we were paired together for a group project in one of our other classes. She's really nice, once you get to know her. So, how are things with you? What did you do about... you know...?" Aphmau asked.

          "Well, Garroth and I got evidence and turned it in to the police. Garte is in jail now... so there's that..." Vylad answered.

          Travis was already sitting in his seat, but didn't really start paying attention to the conversation until that moment.

          "Good. Child abuse is awful," Travis said.

          "It was more than child abuse... It was attempted murder. Which reminds me, Garroth is in the hospital..." Vylad looked down at his desktop.

          Aphmau and Travis gasped.

          "What happened?!" Aphmau asked.

          "Garte tried to kill Zane, but Garroth jumped in front of the knife..." Vylad explained.

          Aphmau put her hand on Vylad's arm as she said, "that's awful. He'll be okay... right?"

          Vylad nodded, but tears were threatening to spill from his eyes.

          Aphmau got out of her seat and walked over to Vylad and hugged him as she said, "everything will be okay."

          Later that day, Vylad and Zane arrived home to see their mother talking to someone outside.

          They shared a look of confusion before walking over to them.

          "Mom?" Vylad grabbed her attention.

          "Vylad! Zane! Meet Vincent!" Zianna gestured to the guy standing next to her.

          "Nice to meet you, sir," Vylad held his hand out and Vincent shook it.

          "Nice to meet you too," Vincent said before turning to Zianna, "are these your sons, Zianna?"

          "They sure are!" Zianna answered.

          "That's very nice. Well, I should be going. Call me, Zianna," Vincent waved before he started walking down the sidewalk.

          "Mom, where did you meet him?" Vylad asked.

          "I met him while I was on my morning jog. We accidentally bumped into each other. And I have a date with him Friday," Zianna said that last part quickly, hoping her sons didn't quite catch what she had said.

          "You have a DATE...? With HIM...? On FRIDAY?! Okay, there was really no need to emphasize 'Friday', but it felt right. The point is, you are aware of what JUST happened YESTERDAY, RIGHT?!" Vylad yelled, emphasizing a few words.

          "Well, yes... I'm sorry, boys. I just... guess I don't know what it's like to be a single Pringle... I can call off the date if you guys aren't comfortable with me dating anyone after the... ahem... incident?" Zianna offered.

          Vylad was about to say "yes", but Zane pulled him aside.

          "Come on, Vylad, we should give it a chance. I mean, mom really likes Vincent and he clearly makes her happy. I mean, look at how sad she is at the thought of calling off the date," Zane and Vylad looked over at Zianna's sad face before Zane continued, "shouldn't we at least give him a chance?"

          "I guess you're right..." Vylad turned back to Zianna.

          "No, mom, it's okay. He clearly makes you happy and we're willing to give him a chance if it makes you happy..." Vylad smiles at his mother who smiled back.

          "Thank you, boys. Now let's head inside," Zianna said as the three of them went inside the house.

          There's something that Vylad couldn't stop thinking about though.

          'I feel like I've seen Vincent before... but I can't quite put my finger on it...'