Chapter 20

Toffee followed behind Star as she ran closer and closer to the castle. He kept his distance, he didnt want her to see him. Even if he was close, Star wouldn't notice. Her mind was somewhere else right now, she wasn't paying attention to her surroundings. She was in a fog, and felt troubled. she had saved Marco before but never at the cost of her own life. but as she thought to herself, she never once questioned her decision to save him. She needed him to live for both of them. Toffee thought he could hear her muttering something over and over, but he couldn't make out the words. Star didn't notice, but she was muttering something. She was muttering," I am no royal." Maybe Star didnt want to be the image of corruption her family had been, she wanted to fix their mistakes. Toffee continued to follow her,  He had wanted her to understand his pain,  but... Maybe he had been punishing the wrong people. Star finally reached the castle door, and quickly opened it without hesitation. She ran in but she saw something she hasn't expected to see. It was her mom... Laying almost completely grey on the floor. Marco was beside her, asking over and over," Why would you do that?!" Star Ran to her mother. And as Toffee followed he saw Diamond laying on the floor. He froze, and this time be wasn't stubborn. He ran to Diamond and sobbed, screaming," NO I DIDNT WANT THIS!!" Diamond smiled at him in her final moments and said," it's okay Toffee, I knew you weren't a monster." Diamond put her hand on Toffee's cheek and said,"I'm sorry. Please protect them for me." She pointed to Marco and Star. A tear dropped down Toffees cheek," I-I will, I promise. I- I'm sorry too." Diamond smiled again, and died. She had left in peace. Star ran to Marco, and hugged him tightly. She then whispered," you were gonna die for me?" Marco smiled and replied," I would do anything for you." Star suddenly began to cry, and Marco held her tightly. Marco the said softly," Don't cry Star, I don't want you to cry for me. I wanted to save you because..... I love you." Toffee turned around and watched as Star finally kissed Marco. He whispered to himself," good."