20| Harry

*not edited

I'm going, oh I'm going

Flight to Illinois was perfect because Myra cuddled up next to me the entire time. I enjoyed the smell of her new vanilla scented shampoo. We took a cab back to her old neighborhood in Northbrook and I'm very excited to see where Myra grew up.

We pull up to a grey house with brick steps at the front door

We pull up to a grey house with brick steps at the front door. Myra exhales trying to shake her nerves. She's been worried about what the rest of her family will think of our relationship. We haven't told anyone I'm her boss because that'll only draw more unwanted attention.

I know they might have some reservations about me because I'm white but I'm hoping they can see I'm deeply in love with myra and that's all that matters. I know I won't truly understand the black community issues because I'm privileged but I acknowledge that and help in anyway I can. I hate seeing the news and innocent lives our taken just because the color of their skin. I'd lose it if anything happened to Myra. She's everything to me and to have her taken away because of skin color I'd lose my absolute mind.

I wish spreading love and kindness was enough to stop it but it's not so I try to educate myself, friends and family to find ways how we can stop this injustice. Myra has educated me so much on the issues as well an it makes me want to do so much more. I donate to the cause anytime I can. Right now, I'm trying to get Jade to green light an black authors event and we let advocates inform others on the black lives matter and promote our black authors. I know it's not enough but it's something rather than nothing.

Myra gripes my arm bringing me back to reality. We're standing in front of the brown door with our suitcases beside us. She huffs before ringing the doorbell. A minute later, Myra's mother, Esther, greets us with a huge grin. She hugs us the both of us.

"Bennett! Myra and her boyfriend out here!" She calls her husband. We roll our suitcases in and my palms start to get sweaty as an old man with greying hair and beard greets his daughter.

"Hey precious," he engulfs Myra in an embrace.

"Hey dad." She hums and turns to me once their done.

"Dad, this is Harry. And be nice," she mutters the last part to him but I could still hear her.

"Nice to meet you Harry. Can I have a word with you while the ladies catch up." Oh god this is the part I've dreaded. I was hoping it be much later too.

I follow Bennett to his home office I presume. There's a huge bookshelf, file cabinet, and desk. He perches himself on the front of his desk and directs me to the chair in front of him. I take a seat and he begins talking.

"Harry, I don't know you very well, but my wife and daughter adore you. However you have to show me how much you care about my daughter before anything else progressing between you two. I'll be keeping an close eye on you okay," he says with a stern expression. My throat gets a little dry. I don't know how but I hope I can win him over these next few days.