Chapter 12

Regina's P.O.V.

I unlocked my front door and heard my sons giggling in the kitchen.

As soon as the door fell in its lock, the boys appeared and smiled brightly. Smiles that I hadn't seen in such a long time.

They ran up to me and hugged me tight. "How was it with Aunt Ruby?" I asked as I looked at the woman that was walking out of the kitchen as well.

"We're baking cookies!" Henry exclaimed.

It wasn't like I hadn't seen that already. Their hands were sticky of the dough and Henry seemed to have chocolate wiped all over his face.

"That sounds delightful. Can I help?"

"But we're baking them for you, so that's no fun," Roland said and for the second time that day, I had to fight my tears. But this time only because of how sweet they were both acting.

I should've talked to my kids much earlier about the divorce.

"You can talk with Ruby, we're going to continue baking!" Henry exclaimed and hurried back to the kitchen. I chuckled softly as Ruby came walking toward me.

"They seem to be feeling much better than before," Ruby said and I nodded slowly.

"I talked to them before you came. Apparently, that dick had more influence on them than I anticipated."

"How'd it go?"

I frowned and pursed my lips together. If I were to tell Ruby that Emma and I had been together in the sheriff's station, alone, the question asking would be inevitable.

"Not so well," I admitted and sighed softly. "I kinda lost it. I screamed and hit him in the face. Thrice. Eventually the sheriff had to show up. Graham asked me to come with him to the sheriff station."

"What happened then?" Ruby sounded genuinely interested and I kept quiet for a moment, listening to my sons giggling in the kitchen.

"Emma was there. We talked for a bit. I hadn't told her I'd been married once, so she was rather surprised, but she realized nothing horrible had happened between me and Robin, so she let me go."

Ruby nodded slowly. I saw a faint smile appearing on her lips when I mentioned Emma, but she didn't comment on it.

"But how were the kids?"

Ruby smiled. "They're great, Regina. They really seem to feel more at home here. What does Emma think of your kids?"

I stiffened briefly before I faked a smile. I didn't want to think about that, because I wasn't ready to tell Emma about them. Not yet.

"She doesn't know, does she?" Ruby questioned softly and I looked guilty at her.

"No," I responded softly.

"I bet she loves kids."

"You think?" My tone sounded hopeful, but I wasn't sure at all. Emma probably would be an amazing mother, but I wondered whether she wanted to have children.

She'd avoided the topic exes and love life as much as possible and that included marriage and children. Not once had I ever heard her talk about becoming a mother.