Chapter 21

The snow whirled in the sky and as I didn't have anything better to do, I watched it fall on earth, creating a thin, white blanket.

I was alone in the sheriff station. Graham was called to help a dog that was stuck somewhere and he'd assured me that he didn't need any help, even though I would have been more than happy to do so.

It calmed me to watch the mesmerizing snow. It was rather early in the year to snow - half November - but I wasn't complaining. I just hoped there wouldn't be too many accidents this year.

Suddenly, the office door opened and I was surprised to see Roland. I'd found out he was Regina's son a month ago, and since then I hadn't seen the kid anymore.

He was alone, what surprised me even more, and he looked quite uncomfortable.

"Hey, kid. Can I help you with anything?" I asked and smiled sweetly. I now truly saw the resemblance of Regina.

He nodded and stepped forward before he sat down on the chair at my desk. "I could talk to you about anything, right?" He questioned softly and I nodded.

"Of course."

Roland seemed to be looking for the right words, before he cleared his throat. "When do adults fall in love?" He inquired.

I was slightly taken aback by this question and furrowed my eyebrows.

Why would an eight year old come to me to ask this question? This particular question? Did it have anything to do with me and Regina? Was he aware of our dates?

I didn't know what to respond at all. When do adults fall in love? I didn't know. I had no idea when I knew I loved someone.

"I, uh.." I wanted to help the child, but I didn't know how I would explain this to him. "I think there isn't a certain "when". I think that when you like someone, a lot, you can grown to love them. Why do you want to know that?"

Roland shrugged and seemed lost in thought. I waited patiently for him to respond and finally he said; "because I think my mom's in love with someone."

I immediately snapped my mouth shut and swallowed thickly. "W- why do you think that?" I asked and he shrugged again.

"Because my teacher at school said that people get really happy when they are in love. And these past couple of days my mom was really happy."

Regina and I have been starting to talk to each other again exactly a week ago, on Wednesday. We'd been spending almost every evening together, until the children came to her place, but we'd continued texting each other every day.

It had been absolutely amazing, but I hadn't realized that the children could notice something.

"What do you hope? Would you like it if you'd mother found someone she loved?" I asked, just to see where he was at, at this point.

Obviously, I wasn't going to tell him about his mother and I, without Regina's permission, but if he were happy to hear that his mother had found someone again, it would be much easier to tell him once Regina and I were ready.

"No," he replied curtly and shrugged. "I want her to love my dad again. I love him, why can't she?" He sounded almost desperate.

I sighed softly and looked at the child. He wanted nothing more than his family back together, without new girlfriends of his parents and without two homes.

And it made me feel absolutely horrible for dating Regina.

"Because love doesn't work that way," I replied softly. "I'm sorry to say that."