Kabanata 25

Warning: Read at your own risk
TG// Child abuse, murder

ADREN

Kabanata 25

Do you know the reason why you're born in this filthy world?

Since I was young, it was the constant question I've always asked myself.

Why was I born?

"Makinig ka sa akin," My Mother with her elegance, bend down to my level. "Smile, Adonis. Ngumiti ka."

My lips twitched at the sight of her glaring at me.

I tried smiling but I only receive her palm slapping my cheeks in return. This hurts less than how it used to hurt. It's probably because my cheek has been numb from all the slaps I got from her.

"What's wrong with you?! Why can't you at least be more like a kid? You even looked like that piece of..." Anais Reverio growled at me, throwing her elegance aside. The sound of her heels as she walked towards the table to sip from her wine is deafening.

Nakasunod lamang ang mga mata ko sa kanya. I don't know if I should be thankful that I've only received slaps from her. It could have been worst. She definitely did more worst things than this. I heaved a breath, buti na lamang at sampal lang ang natamo ko sa kanya ngayon.

She was capable of doing more and she wouldn't hesitate to inflict more pain — because it's me. Sa akin niya ito gagawin kaya naman wala lang ito para sa kanya.

She massage her temples as if I was the most problematic child she had ever conceived. I was fidgeting my fingers because I knew this will be a long discussion...again.

"Adonis, can you show some emotions? Or even just fake it? Your smile doesn't even look like a smile at all. Do you want others to think I'm mistreating you?"

I immediately shook my head, my small frame was already trembling because I can feel the animosity in each word that she hurled at me.

Nakarinig pa ako ng ilang pagbagsak ng mga gamit. The pieces of the acrylic vases were scattered around. Walang lumalapit. Walang kumikibo. This was like the routine for us.

She yelled. She cursed. She decided to break everything that occupies her sight. She was like this everyday, causing havoc just to appease her anger towards me.

I lowered down my gaze as I wipe the dripping blood on my lips. This will heal. Ang sabi ni Grandpa ay hihilom din ito.

The physical pain will soon recover because humans are capable of rejuvenating. Pero hanggang ngayon ay nanginginig pa rin ako. The pain inside of me however cannot recover that quickly.

Anais was frustrated that I was the living carbon copy of my father. I resembled Alfos Reverio when he was younger and even other people can attest to our similarities. We both had the same jet black hair, pale white skin and aristocratic features from our descendants.

Napadaan ako sa hallway, seeing the painted portraits of my bloodline — I wonder if I really belong in this house. I saw one of my Father's portrait and halted from my tracks. I decided to trace down his features and eventually realized how it reflect how I look.

Lumambot agad ang aking mga mata. It made me think that maybe...

Maybe if I didn't look like father, she'll appreciate me more. She'll probably act more motherly to me, only if I didn't look like him.

I wanted to please her. I wanted her to want me as her child. All she ever wanted was for me to give her a smile. And I did. I always do. In return, my lips would bleed because it isn't true enough. My smile is not enough.