Episode 8.1

I hummed along to the music blaring through my headphones as I lay back on my bed.
I startled when my phone started buzzing.

I pulled my headphones off as I accepted the call.
"Chris?"
"Come and open your door, will you?" He asked.

I pulled on my fluffy grey dressing gown over my grey pyjamas and headed down to open the door to Chris.
"Hey." He smiled as I opened it. "You look beautiful."
I glanced down at my dressing gown and pyjamas and chuckled. "Shut up, Chris. But thank you. What are you doing here?"
"I'm here for our specialty. A movie marathon." Chris pulled out two DVD's from the pocket in his hoodie, The Goonies and Clueless.
"Good choices." I nodded.
Chris took a deep breath. "Listen, I know it's been weird and confusing with us, but I really want to go back to normal. I don't want any awkwardness. So I say we do the thing we do best: binge watch cheesy films and eat the junk food that you stash in your room away from Sid."
I smiled. "You're my best friend for a reason, Chris. Now let's do it."

Chris and I were both fixated on The Goonies as we sat on my bed.
"This is just a proper classic, isn't it?" Chris commented.
"It really is."

Before I knew it, Chris placed his warm palm on top of my hand.
He watched my expression and furrowed his brows. "Sorry, is this weird?"
I shook my head. "No, no. It feels... normal." I told him.
Chris faintly laughed to himself. "We have no idea what normal is for us now, do we?"
I giggled with him. "No, I don't think we do."
"Well, as long as we're friends, I don't really care."
"Me neither." I shrugged.

The gaze we shared was broke when my brother entered my bedroom.
He frowned and pointed at our hands resting together. "I thought you two were just friends now?"
I shrugged. "Friends can hold hands, Sid."
"Right." Sid nodded with an unconvinced expression on his face. "Well, I'm heading out. Have fun with your... confusing friendship."
"You too!" Chris and I both called in unison and then giggled together.

"Which one is your favourite then?" Chris asked me as he pointed at the movie on screen.
"Definitely Stef! Her attitude is unmatched. She's such a tough character, she's definitely underrated." I answered. "What about you?"
"Definitely Andy."
"Why?"
"Because... she's fit." Chris answered and I laughed.
"You're so complex, Chris." I joked.
"Hey, I may be simple, but at least we balance each other out."
I nodded and then smiled. "I guess we do."

Chris and I gazed into each other's eyes for a second time. This time the moment wasn't interrupted due to my brother, but due to Tony.

Tony burst through the door.
"Thanks for the knock." I remarked.
"Where's Sid?" He demanded.
"Oh, 'hi' to you too, Tony." Chris said sarcastically, but Tony wasn't fazed.
"He's just gone out. Why?"
"I need his help. He won't answer his phone." Tony looked distressed.
"With what, Tony?" I pried.
Tony looked Chris and I up and down before speaking. "Don't worry, I don't want to ruin your nice little evening together."
I could tell that Tony was looking to provoke a reaction, and I rolled my eyes. "Fine. Get out."
Tony's face changed as he realised I wasn't going to fall into his trap of clashing and bickering and he sighed. "Effy's missing."
I eyed him for a second. "This isn't one of your games, is it?"
He looked disappointed at my words. "Yes, Cleo. It's a game." He rolled his eyes before turning and heading back out of my house.

I turned to Chris immediately.
"Go." He instructed.
"No, no. It's our night." I insisted.
"Go, Cleo. He needs your help and I know you want to help him."
Chris wasn't wrong but that didn't stop the guilty feeling about the thought of ditching him. "But what about The Goonies?"
"I mean, we have watched it at least five times already. I'm sure we can watch it again another night."
I sighed, still feeling guilty. "But we're supposed to be reinstating our friendship."
"Oh, consider it reinstated, whatever that means. Just go." Chris shrugged.
I got off the bed and pulled my dressing gown off and a padded coat on in its place. "Fine."

Next chapter tomorrow!