Episode 8.3

I drove for about ten minutes before I found myself feeling antsy within the car.
I pulled over and sat on a nearby bench and lit a joint.

I sighed and reached for my phone and began to dial Chris' number. I was frustrated at myself for leaving him.
As much as I wanted to find Effy and ensure she was safe, Tony just couldn't help himself from being a wanker.

Before I could start ringing Chris' number, an incoming call from my brother came through.

"Sid?" I answered.
"Cleo? What's going on? I've just had a phone call off Tony." He sounded slightly frantic on the other end.
I groaned loud enough that Sid would hear. "Just leave it. He's a twat. He put those photos on that Stock's phone, you know?" I ranted.
"Yeah, I know."
"You knew?" I hissed.
"Yes! That's why I haven't been answering his calls. But that's irrelevant now. He sounds like he's in trouble, Cleo." Sid was clearly concerned.
"Yeah, I know. Effy's missing. I've been helping him find her, but I can't bear to be around him right now."
"Well, get back to him, Cleo! Seriously. Something isn't right. He's at some Ston Eaton sports place. I'd go but I can't get there fast enough when I'm walking."
"Fine." I groaned.
I hung up the phone, stubbed out my joint and got back into the car.

***

My phone started vibrating as I drove through the night and I smiled and happily accepted the call when I saw it was Chris.
I put my phone on speaker as I continued to drive.

"Hey! How's it going?" Chris asked in his cheery voice.
I groaned. "Not great. Tony's a dick, as usual. And after successfully ditching him, I've been forced back to him by my stupid brother because he supposedly sounds like he's in trouble."
"You don't think he is in trouble then?" Chris quizzed.
"I don't know. I never know what to believe with Tony. I wish I hadn't left you tonight though." I admitted.
"Yeah, I'm missing you now too." Chris breathed from the other end of the phone line.
"Hey, I know it's late but what are you doing later? I can bring -" I started but my sentence was cut off by the sight in front of me.
Tony was walking away from the sports club topless with an unconscious Effy in his arms.
"Fuck! Chris, I've got to go." I rushed, hanging up on Chris before he'd even got a chance to respond.

I rapidly jumped out of the car and rushed towards Tony.
"What the fuck happened? What's wrong with her, Tony?" I asked, frantically.
Tony stared blankly ahead, not making eye contact with me. "It's all my fault." He managed to murmur.
I wasn't sure what had happened but it was clear that something had.
"Come on. Let's just get the fuck out of here, let's get her to a hospital."

***

The drive to the hospital was silent and tense.
Tony sat in the backseat with Effy still unconscious across his knees. He stared out the window with tears in his eyes and he'd occasionally stroke her hair or kiss her head.

I stayed silent. It was strange for me to see Tony vulnerable. No jokes, no sarcastic comments, no winding anyone up. He just looked in pain.

***

I'd accompanied Tony in the hospital as requested by him.
Effy lay on a hospital bed hooked up to a drip. She seemed lifeless besides the continuous beeping of the monitoring machine.
The Stonem parents sat on one side of the hospital bed, and Tony and I sat on the other.

"Do you think she can hear us?" Tony's father wondered aloud.
"I don't know, darling." Anthea held his hand.
"Effy?" Jim tried, before putting his hand on Effy's. "Her hands are cold."
"Yes, maybe it's best we let her sleep." Anthea suggested.
"She can hear you, dad." Tony chimed in, although he was still staring blankly at the wall ahead.
His mother looked him directly in the eyes and hissed, "that's enough from you."