The Desert Princess

It's late in the evening, the sun is going down, sending a gentle glow across the sands of the Desert Kingdom. The sound of a baby could be heard from inside the castle. In a cradle lay the next in the line for the throne. Dark red hair spread out across the cradle and gentle yellow eyes looked around curiously.

Looking into the cradle with a gentle smile was the Queen of the Desert. Sad thoughts ran through her mind as her husband couldn't be here to see his daughter. Just 3 weeks prior, the King of the Desert had been killed in a battle against the forces of the Alpine Kingdom.

The baby looked up at her mother and smiled brightly, reaching up and wrapping a hand tightly around her mother's finger. Queen Faven smiles gently, a tear falling down her cheek.

"What will you name her?" a voice speaks, walking up to the Queen.

Faven turned around to look at her brother before looking back at her new-born daughter who was now hugging a stuffed wolf toy. It was obviously that she got most of her looks from her mother.

Dark red hair and yellow eyes, it was both from Faven, but the pale skin was from her father, King Sheldon.

That's when Faven got an idea. "Shelby" she speaks, "In remembrance of my husband..." Faven lowers her head.

"He's watching over us Faven, I promise" Faven's brother spoke.

"Are you sure Patrick?" Faven asks, turning to look at him while sitting on the bed.

Patrick nods, "Of course sis".

A lady walks in with a 1-year old boy in her arms.

"There's my wife and son" Patrick smiles, walking over and hugging his wife, taking their son from her arms and bouncing him up and down lightly, making the little boy giggle.

Faven couldn't help but smile gently at her brother's family. She had wished it could be the same for her daughter.

Patrick brought his son over to the cradle. "Ross, meet your cousin, Shelby" he speaks with a smile.

"S-Selby" Ross tries to say her name, but ultimately misses the 'h'. Faven giggles slightly before reaching over and taking Baby Shelby from the crib, before cradeling her in her arms.

"My Queen" the voice of a nurse speaks, "Everything is very good in regard to your daughter, we've found no complications" she smiles.

"Thank you Nurse Hailey" Queen Faven bows her head in regular royal fasion.

"The only thing that was different, which won't be anything to worry about, is her weight, but she'll gain weight as the weeks go on, so don't worry" Hailey nods.

Faven nods in response, looking down at her daughter.

"Do you have a name for the little Princess, by any chance?" Hailey asks.

"Yes. Shelby. Princess Shelby Grace".

--------------------

"Everyone put your hands together for Queen Faven!" a guard speaks proudly. The Desert People begin cheering as Queen Faven walks onto the stage, her daughter in her arms.

It's been 2 weeks since Shelby was born. Her hair was brushed nicely. She was wearing a

white dress, fit for a Princess. Everyone could be heard saying 'aww' as they met their Princess for the first time.

Queen Faven sat down on the throne, placing her daughter in her lap with a gentle smile. She wasn't used to going anywhere without her husband by her side.