Chapter 8

"What!?"
It echoes throughout the room.
"How does this mission have anything to do with me being your w-w-wife!" I stutter.
Gin spins around to face me, "are you saying you wouldn't be my wife!?" She raises one eyebrow at me.
Blushing furiously, I splutter, "What! No..uh.. I mean yes...no I mean no.. Wait what.."
Gin smirks as she watches me squirm. "Ahem."
We both turn to look at yoko who has risen up from her seat.
She glares at me and then says,"as Gin was saying you two will need to pretend to be a married couple, this is so Higuchi can cover for Gin while Gin is not in the room."
"Precisely!" Gin says, nodding at Yoko."While I'm killing Ryo, I will have you do something so people will think I'm in the room."
I can feel my fingers shaking slighty. "But can't you.. do that yourself.... I don't think I can let you put yourself in a position where I hold whether you live or..."
"Let me?"
Gin catches my face with her slender fingers and brings it close to hers. "I don't need your permission Higuchi. I'm your senpai so you will do as I say."
Her ebony eyes look deep into mine. "Besides even if you screw up I'll be fine." She gives me a half grin. "I'm a professional after all."
Releived but unable to find words, I just continue to stare into her eyes. She stares back.
The light catches onto her hair making it shimmer slighty. I start to see small shades of purple and red mixed in with the ebony and I catch my breath. Gin's pupils start to quiver and dilate slightly when a massive screech cuts through the room.
We look in time to see Yoko storming out the door.
I realize how rude we must have been and I start to jump up after her but Gin's hand stops me.
"Shouldn't we apologize to her?" I ask. "No." Gin answers staring at the door that's swinging on it's hinges. "She'll be fine."
I chew my lip; yoko glared at me earlier as well. I really don't think she likes me.
I must've looked worried because Gin said,"I'll talk to her later so don't worry."
"Uh..ok..but are you sure you can get through to her?" I ask.
Gin chuckles and let's go of my arm. "Of course, she's my childhood friend afterall."