New Recruit

Nier walked into the tavern, he moved to the bar looking at the various selections of drinks.

Rolf was sitting at his usual table. Dark enough to hide him but bright enough to see the newcomer that just walked in.

The barkeep had started pouring some liquid for Nier that he had been eyeing on the shelf. For some reason, he could feel eyes on him but decided to ignore it for the time being.

Rolf rose from the table and approached the young man at the bar "I've got this round barkeep."

Nier acknowledged the stranger's gesture with a nod. He took a swig of his drink, slamming the empty glass against the table.

"I like your style kid. The name's Rolf. I'd like to have a chat with you if you can spare the time."

Nier glanced at the stranger with tired eyes. "Got nothing but time. Take a drink."

"Why don't you come sit with me." Rolf said motioning to his table. "You got a name kid?"

Nier pulled up a chair. "Nier, I suppose. And you are?"

Rolf looked at the kid funny, "I already said the name is Rolf."

Nier raised a brow. "Did you? Apologies. My memory isn't... well, no matter. What is your business?"

"I'm looking for some good men to join my crew. You seem like the type I'm looking for. How are you thieving skills?" Rolf asked pouring the kid another drink.

"Hmm," Nier said as he took another swig. "Depends on the reward."

"The rewards are great indeed," Rolf laughed, "There is a royal caravan set to come through here in a few days time. My associates and I plan to rob it. Are you in?"

"Royal?" Nier was intrigued. This wouldn't be his first involvement with royal matters. "Anything to kill my boredom."

"Excellent!" Rolf said rubbing his hands together meet me at our camp in the woods in two days." He slid a small folded map across the table. "I have paid the barkeep enough to last you the rest of the night. Welcome to the guild." Rolf stood and left the tavern.

Nier pondered this new group for a moment, but didn't dwell on it much longer. He couldn't keep track on the number of drinks anymore, but he made sure to take a long look at the map before his vision really started to blur. Might be a strange fellow, Nier thought. But at least he's generous.