Chapter 30

Thor had decided what to say, how to say it, and had even practiced in front of a mirror, but when he faced his fiancee's beautiful, calculating,  sea-green eyes, he was left speechless, opening and closing his mouth, uncannily representing a fish.

He could not subject her to this. It was not that big of deal like a war or anything, but it was still forced upon her. He just could not. But he had to. Percy on the other hand was thoroughly puzzled as to why Thor had pulled her aside just to keep quiet.

"So the thing is...." He started, but trailed off, suddenly scared. Getting impatient, Percy waved her hands in a 'go on' gesture, trying to make sense of what got Thor so agitated. 

"My-father-has-asked-us-to-come-to-Asgard-because-he-wants-you-to-participate-in-an-old-tradition-done-to-prove-that-you-are-worthy-to-be-come-princess-and-heir-of-Asgard." He said quickly, stumbling over his words. He almost wished that she did not hear him but unfortunately her sharp mind and ADHD-wired brain caught every word. 

"Which tests?" she asked, looking an epitome of calmness but her eyes a raging sea. "Um, they are called 'The Bridal tests' where you have to preform a series of diplomatic and strategic tests to prove your worth to my people." He said, deciding once again, not to sugar coat anything.

Not saying anything, the great heroine of Olympus started to tremble in her place, silents sobs erupting from her body. She hated to show weakness, but she was so done with all of this. All she wanted was a peaceful life. She had held herself together when she fought the battle against Kronos. She had held herself together when she fought the giants, she had held herself together when the gods proclaimed  that she was to continue giving her life to the Olympians, but now....now she was so done with this.

Thor did not know what to do as he saw his bride mentally struggling to put up her walls again. It was not fair that such a trusting, lively person would be forced to put up mental shields to protect herself. It was not fair. He hated to be the cause of her pain, but he could not help it. It pained him physically to see the salty tears roll down  her cheeks.

All he could do was kneel next to her and hug her, trying to somehow ease her pain. She too desperately needed his touch as she buried herself in the crook of his neck, inhaling his scent of fresh wind and slight ozone. He too took in her ever-present smell of the sea, trying to think of ways to calm her. He could feel her hot tears wet his shirt as she shivered and trembled on the floor.

Seeing their instructor so vulnerable, the Avengers slowly crept out of the room, opting to give her space and privacy. Seeing that they were alone, Persia allowed herself to crumble, not even trying to pull herself together anymore. She crawled in his lap and hugged his torso tighter, not bothering to keep her cries quiet as she sobbed and hiccuped, the torrent of salt leaving tracks on her rosy cheeks.  

They stayed like that, in the corner of the room, with the warrior holding the savior of Olympus as she cried her heart out. She had bottled up her feelings and now it poured out of her like a river, unstoppable.