Chapter 2 - The Morning Report

A ten-year-old Hiccup ran out onto the balcony and looked at the rising sun, he jumped for joy and headed to his parent's room.

" Dad, dad, dad, dad!" Hiccup burst in his parent's room and jumped up onto the bed.

" Come on we gotta go, wake up!" Hiccup shook his father while leaning a against his mother.

" Dad, Dad, you promised to take me out hunting." Hiccup pulled on Stoick's beard and the man groaned.

" Your son's awake." Valka mumbled to her husband, Stoick turned to her.

" Before sunrise, he's your son." Valka grabbed a pillow and threw it at the man.

" Dad, let's go." Hiccup fell off the bed and shot back, as he pulled on his father's arm, Stoick raised his head slightly and looked at the now glaring boy.

" You promised." Hiccup glared at his father, Stoick sighed.

" Ok, ok, I'm up." Stoick pulled the covers back and hopped out of the bed, Hiccup jumped up and down.

Stoick grabbed his armour and pulled it on over the top of his tunic, Valka decided there was no use staying in bed.

~ Line Break ~

Hiccup rushed out of the palace, to a cliff behind the castle, Stoick following close behind.

Valka watched her husband and son walk up the path leading to the cliff, sighing.

" Look Hiccup, everything the light touches is our Kingdom." Stoick stood atop the cliff with Hiccup standing beside him.

" Wow." Hiccup looked out at the vast land before him, Berk was so big.

" A King's time as ruler rises and falls like the sun." Stoick looked down at Hiccup who looked back up at his father.

" One day Hiccup, the sun will set on my time and will rise with you, as the new King." Hiccup smiled, he couldn't wait to be King.

" This will all be mine, everything the light touches?" Hiccup walked around the edge of the cliff and stopped.

" Everything." Stick looked down at his son, as the Prince turned to him.

" What about that dark shadowy and place?" Stoick shook his head and his expression darkened.

" That's beyond our borders, you must never go there Hiccup." The Prince wore a confused look.

" I thought a King could do whatever he wants." Hiccup questioned his father, Stoick chuckled.

" There's more to being King than getting your way all the time." Stock gestured for his son to follow.

" There's more?" Hiccup followed after his father, smiling.

" Come on." Hiccup ran up to his dad and followed him down to the village.

                      ~ Line Break ~

Stoick and Hiccup walked through the village, even at an early hour, it was busy.

People parted as the King strode through town with the Prince, bowing as they went past.

" Everyone and thing you see works together in a delicate balance." Hiccup nodded as his father explained the world to him.

" As King, you need to respect that balance and respect all the creatures, from the mighty dragon, to our people." Hiccup waved to the other children passing by.

" Dad, don't we kill the dragons?" Stoick looked down at Hiccup and smiled.

" Yes Hiccup, let me explain." Hiccup nodded as his father walked him out of the Kingdom gates.