Chapter Thirty-Nine: Blow Us All Away

PERCY

I sat on the roof of Othrys, overlooking California with the blankest face I've ever had. I had a cigarette between my lips and swung my legs over the edge of the roof.

I knew the battle was going to be soon. The gods were already on their way with their army of demigods. It's messed up, using children to fight their battles. It's also messed up that I hadn't had that nightmare last night. It was almost as if it was mocking me. As if it was saying I don't need to see it in a dream because I will see it in person soon enough.

Whatever it is, I don't need it to tell me what's going to happen. The only thing it does is make my nerves act up. It makes me nervous and unwilling to let the realisation that we'd have to fight in a war very soon.

"Your boyfriend's looking for you," I didn't bother looking over to the blonde and instead shrugged.

"I don't care."

"Prick."

"Asshole," I whispered and flicked the cigarette out of hand and watched it fall to the ground. Octavian sat down next to me with a glare.

"Well you seem depressed."

"Your presence isn't making it any better," I commented and finally looked at him. "What do you want?"

Octavian watched the night sky and glanced at the thousands of stars in it. "I just came to get some fresh air and watch the night sky. You're just ruining it."

"I make things better, what are you talking about," I sighed and pulled my legs to my chest.

"You seem to be doing a terrible job at that. You're all gloomy and it's very depressing."

"I'm always like this," I mumbled.

Octavian scoffed and shook his head. "You are never always like anything. If anything you're always bipolar."

"That's just my great personality."

"Take out the 'great' and possibly."

"You're a fucking asshole."

"And I take pride in it you fucking prick." I let out a loose laugh.

"If I'm such a prick why are you talking to me?"

Octavian didn't say anything.

"Oh, shit you're playing this game?"

"I'm just going to keep annoying you until you talk."

"Never mind, I don't feel like it." I go quiet and join Octavian in watching the stars.

"You're acting weird," Octavian muttered, "you're too quiet. It's unnerving."

"Sometimes I think you like hearing my voice."

"Quite the opposite. I wish you would shut that damn mouth of yours more often, but now it's just weird."

"I'm just thinking," I shrugged, "I need my powers back. And I need to be able to have nectar and ambrosia. Maybe then they wouldn't die."

"Perseus, it's war. People will die and there will be nothing you can do. Sometimes you just have to let things happen because it's the way it's supposed to be."

"But I could save them. If I could use my powers I could save them. I don't want them to die."

"You're immortal. You're going to see more death than any of them. You'll be hundreds of years old and witness thousands of people dying. It's just how the world goes."

I sighed and glanced at Octavian. "I guess."

*******

"My head hurts."