Part 2. Nightmares

Vive's POV

He's drunk.  I can tell by the way he walks upstairs and makes gross noises. Grabbing the banister as if his life depends on it. I try to hide under my blanket and pray he'll go into his own room and not mine. Too bad. He burst into my room, slamming my door against the wall, almost breaking it and he smacks on the light.

"So, you little fuck. Time to wake up." He pulls the blankets off me and grabs my arms to pull me downstairs. I try to apologize, not knowing what for, but he probably has found a reason to be mad at me anyway.

"Please dad, please please, I am sor." I try but I already know it's pointless.

*SMACK*

I feel dizzy as I open my eyes. I am now on the ground one foot away from being pushed off the stairs. "You little murderer girl, you deserved to die instead of your mother you know that right. Ya killed her and now I will kill you"

----

"Oi! Calm down Vive, calm the fuck down!"

I wake up seeing my brother's blue eyes above mine as he screams me awake. Freeing me from my nightmare.

"Hey-hey, shh, it's okay, you're fine". I try to get loose of his grip, but realize soon enough what just happened. Nothing happened, I'm at home and this is Tommy. I'm safe. I finally relax and let myself fall back against my pillow.

Tommy sits himself down on the side of my bed, still holding my left hand. He sighs in distress and looks at me.

"What's wrong? Why are you screaming?"

Still trying to catch my breath, I can't bring out any words yet and start to wipe the tears that apparently cover both of my cheeks. My face is not the only thing that's completely wet. My whole body is bathing in cold sweat. Tommy takes his handkerchief and wipes my wet forehead.

"Sorry I woke you up again", is all I can bring out, too ashamed to look him in the eyes. This wasn't the first time I woke someone by my screaming or crying in the middle of the night. I feel like this time was the worst nightmare so far.

"What happened, oi?" He asks a second time, this time almost whispering to me. "Tell me."

I shrug, "just a bad dream you know, I'm sorry." I say now with a fake smile. Tears are welling up again. Tommy looks at me concerned, but accepts the fact I don't want to talk about the this now. He sighs and wraps his arms around me, hugging me tightly.

"Come move aside, I'll stay with you till you fall back asleep." He says while taking place on the bed next to me. It doesn't take me long to fall back asleep, this time without nightmares.

Tommy's POV

I'm not blind. I can tell something's up with her. This has been the sixth time she screamed for help in the middle of the night. I have nightmares myself, but I always manage to wake myself up and get out of it. Whenever Vive has a nightmare, it takes us forever to wake her up. I don't know what had happened that causes this. She won't tell, but I know something's up. The way she gets when she knows me, Arthur or John are leaving, when there are strangers knocking at the door or just when she's alone. She's scared but I don't know what for.

It's real early in the morning when I wake up. Haven't slept at all after the whole situation.

Before I walk downstairs I open the door of her bedroom, checking in on her. She's still asleep all cuddled up with her blankets. It looks like she's fine now. I also check on Finn who sleeps in the room next door. His bed is empty, which makes me wonder where the fuck he is at this time.

I go downstairs to see him eating breakfast with Polly.

"You're up early" I say giving him a kiss on the head.

Polly only looks me in the eyes when I sit myself down at the table. "What happened last night? I heard noise coming from upstairs."

"Finn, I think you're finished" I say nodding to his empty plate. "Get upstairs and get dressed for school alright? And wake your sister please." He does as I say and leaves me and Polly alone.

I nod at Polly. "Another nightmare. I woke up because of her crying, took me forever to wake her up."

Polly lits a cigarette.

"Pol, what's going on with her? This was the sixth time this happened, it does not come out of nowhere."

She shakes her head. "Tom, alright, I will tell you what I think, but I am not sure alright?" taking another puf.

"The nightmares started when she and Finn came to live with me. You know I took them out of your fathers house right, but honestly I don't think the whores he had over the floor everyday were the only reason they wanted to leave his place. I asked Vive a few times, but I constantly get the same reaction. Also, whenever I talk or ask about your father, she acts different."

"Different? What is different, be more specific."

She sighs. "I don't know Thom, she just gets nervous, avoids him as a topic at all costs, doesn't let any information pass about the time that she lived with him."

"And what about Finn? Does he acts the same way?" I ask.

She slowly shakes her head. "No, he once told me that Arthur Sr. is mad at Vive, but he didn't know why. Furthermore, he doesn't talk about him either but does not come across nervous or scared."

I nod. "Alright, well I will have a conversation with him. You talk to Vive, if she wants it or not, I don't care I want this to stop for her own well being. This is not healthy. Maybe start the conversation tonight when you wash her hair or anything like that.

"She won't let me Tom, ever since she's back home, she's baths herself." Polly looks at me with a straight face.

*knockknock*

"Aunt Pol, can I come in?" We both respond to the sound. It's Vive standing in the doorway, fully dressed in her nice clothes, ready for school.

"John brings me and Finn to school today, is that okay?"

Polly nods at her and gestures her to come. She gives Vive a big hug and a kiss on the cheek. "You have a good day alright!"

While looking at her, I realize how beautiful my sister is. Her blond hair, blue eyes. Her sweet and sensitive character. She's a replica of my mother. Luckily one of our Shelby's has her genes.

What on earth have I missed these years