Part 18. Can't be mad too long

Tommy's POV

Of course he's mad at me. I wanted to tell him about the guns earlier but I just hadn't found the time yet. Also, since he's not doing that great emotionally... I maybe waited too long on purpose. Tonight could have gone so wrong and I'm relieved it ended with a head wound, not a fucking head shot. After I helped him fix up his wounds, Arthur made his way out of John house to The Garrisson. I told him the whole story and even though he sort of understands, he's mad I left him out of this.

It's around 06.00 a.m. and I still haven't had any sleep. I walk upstairs to get Vive because I want to go home. I softly open the door of Johns bedroom, seeing if she's asleep or not. Her head turns my way.

"We're going home Viv, come" I say. She immediately gets out of the bed, passing me by without giving me a look and walks downstairs. God, this behaviour is exhausting. I know I have to deal with her too. I surely haven't forgotten about her state last night, but right now... I need some rest first.

"John, I'm going home. Keep me updated if you hear something from Arthur alright? I'll check on him tonight." I whisper as I walk downstairs, making my way out of the house. Vive already walks a few meters in front of me, making clear she does not want my company right now. I let her, not keeping her out my sight. She wraps her coat tightly around her. I bet she hadn't slept that well either. I get my cigarets out of my pockets and light one. I look up, breathing in the air of Small Heath. The streets are empty again and the lake is half frozen.

I know I'm the one responsible for all this mess, but I can't undo what's already done. Now, the only thing I can do is keep my family safe, which seems a bigger challenge than I would have thought in the first place.

Suddenly, Vive stops walking. She hesitates before turning to her side as she starts to throw up in the middle of the streets. I throw my cigaret behind me and immediately run up to her. She's leaning with her both hands on her knees as another load of puke ends on the ground. When I arrive to her side, I try to keep a little distance and I look at her.

"You alright?!" I ask. She's still bent over and she whines a little. I can't see her face expression because of her long hair hanging down. There's puke all over the toes of her black boots. I now take a step closer trying to put her hair to the side waiting if there's more to come. After a few seconds she comes up again, stepping backwards away from the puke and turning her face from mine.

"Go away from me." She says, continuing her walk, still a little staggering. She lets out a sob and a cough quietly. I fasten my pace to get to her side, but again she steps away from me.

"Viv, come'ere" I try sticking my arm out to hers, wanting to help.

"Go away" She snarls back a second time.

I'll let her. Was she sick already? How'd this happen so suddenly. Maybe it's because of the stress of last night... otherwise I wouldn't know. The thought of that makes me feel awful and even more guilty than I already felt.

After a little while we arrive at the house. Vive goes upstairs in one line, not getting rid of her coat and shoes first. I decide to not follow her since I think that'll make the situation even worse.

I hang up my coat and enter the kitchen. I see Arthurs money is still out in the open on the table, which means Polly is not home yet. Otherwise she would have put it away. I get myself a bottle of rum and settle down in a chair in front of the fire place. Trying to get some rest.

Upstairs, I hear Vive being busy in the bathroom. I hear her using the water, dropping stuff on the floor, closing and opening doors and drawers and after a few seconds, I hear her throwing up again.