Part 24. My rules

Tommy's POV

The return of Freddy couldn't come at a better time. Since I'm in a war with Billy Kimber, I am glad he's here for Ada now. I need all men in Small Heath I can find and Freddy can be very useful. Arthur returned a few weeks ago and he's doing good. He works full time in The Garrisson and even though I keep an eye on him, he seems way better than before. Vive's doing fine, very busy with school and John's in the betting shop most of the time while I'm doing the other businesses. I'm glad when this period is over and when the Billy Kimber thing has been solved.

Ada just packed her stuff with Freddy and the three of them left to their old house. Polly and I were just toasting in the kitchen on this good day when we hear sudden stumbling in the hall.

"Hurry up, come'on. Haven't got all day." I hear John. Polly gives me a confused look, just like me. What's John doing here? We both knew he had other plans for today and wanted to go out of town with his kid.

Him and Vive burst into the kitchen. John doesn't give us a look but picks the first best chair he sees and puts Vive on it not being careful with her at all. Me and Pol are still not having a clue what's going on, but by the look on Vive's face, we can tell something has happened.

"So." John says. "Vive's got something to tell you." he says as he sit himself down on a chair as well while lighting a cigarette.

"What's going on here?" Polly says.

Vive's staring at the ground while rubbing her wrists. Not saying a word.

"You gonna tell them, otherwise I will." John says with a straight face to Vive.

Silence continues.

"Alright, as you wish then." He starts now turning to me. "Found her at the cut behind the bridge, smoking cigarettes and kissing some way older asshole. They were all over each other"

"We were not!" Vive spits back to him.

I nod "who was it Vive?" I ask her, trying to react as calm as possible.

She sighs, "just a boy from my class... his name is Luke."

"So, that's what all these walkings were about, oi? How long have you been sneaking around with him?" I continue.

She shrugs, still staring at the ground. I get off my chair and I walk up at her, getting on the same height as she is.

"Look at me when I speak to you." I say as I give her a little tick on the cheek, her eyes now finally turning to mine. "How long?"

"Few months..." she answers, almost too soft for me to hear.

I shake my head in disbelief while I stand up and walk across the kitchen "Few months? What were you doing with him out there!?"

Then Polly interrupts and slaps her flat hand on the table making us all startle. "Vive, listen to me, you are 13, this ends now and the smoking as well. End of conversation." She stands up from her chair and disappears into the living room, closing the door behind her. Vive's face expression changes into anger.

"I'm almost 14!" She screams back towards Polly. "Why can't I have a boyfriend? You've had girlfriends at my age right?" She spits at me and John. "It's unfair."

I walk towards her pointing my finger in her face, not wanting to have this discussion anymore.

"You live under our roof, you follow our rules. You heard Pol. End of conversation." With that, I leave the room with John following me outside.

"You need to look out for her. You live with her and I'm not, I can't check where she's going every time she leaves the house. I don't want her hanging with older boys at this age and not at this time!" He says to me, still frustrated about the situation. I nod, knowing he also refers to the whole fight with Kimber. It's not that we don't trust her with boys, we just want to know exactly who's she hanging around with. The past has learned that us Shelby's can't trust anyone.

John then leaves to his own house again and I go back inside as I have smoked my cigarette. Vive's not in the kitchen anymore but stormed off to her room. I decide to let her be for now.