Part 7. Saw that coming

Vive's POV

Today was so much fun. Honestly, my uncle Charlie is such an amazing man. Together we cleaned the stables and I got to ride one of Tommy's horses to see if I liked it. It was so much fun. At first I was a little scared because the horse was almost two times my height. At least, that's how it felt. Charlie helped me and for a first time riding, I think I did a good job. I hope Tom still wants to buy me a horse.

It's already getting dark I make my way towards my house. I hope my brothers are back from their trip already. The streets are empty and it's silent outside. I walk past the river wrapping my coat a bit tighter around me. As I pass the bridge I hear footsteps behind me.

I turn around but I see no one. As I turn my head back I don't get the chance to react before I get grabbed from the side and get pulled into a dark alley on the side of the river. A man pushes me against the brick wall holding both of my hands above my head, looking me straight in the eyes.

It's him. I could've known his last visit wasn't the end. This was just a matter of time. Could've seen this day coming from miles away. Now he got me and I know this is the end.

"You thought I would let you get away with this? Killing my wife, not telling me about Finn? Acting all sad and scared when your brothers are around, you're not fucking innocent you little fuck."

Alright, so out of the whole family it was me who should have told him about Finn? 

He lets go of one hand as he uses his right arm to beat me in the stomach. I collapse to the ground immediately and I cringe and gasp for air. Of course it doesn't stop at one beating. Kicks are following me until my vision gets blurry and very soon, it becomes black. 

---

When I open my eyes, the first thing I notice is pain going through my whole body. I try to move but every bit in my body feels sore. I'm on the ground and I have no idea where I'm at. 

I let out a small moan as I try to sit up straight. Tears are welling up and an anxious feeling falls over me as I remember what preceded all of this. How long have I been here and what is this place? It's not my fathers house, but somewhere else. I'm in some kind of living room. Outside it's dark and I can't see any landmarks. The room is a mess and it's freezing cold in here.

I'm all bruised up and I think it's pure luck I'm still alive. Well, don't know if I can call it luck but alright, I need to get out of here.

I try to stand up when I hear a door open. My father walks into the room with two glasses of water. He puts one in front of me gesturing to drink it. Out of principle I don't want to drink it, but I'm sure Tommy would say that'd be dumb. My body needs it, especially right now. so I drink it.

"Look what we've got here eh. Gave ya some colour on that white skin of yours,  what'd ya think?" He says while he makes himself comfortable on the dirty chair that's in front of me. Looking down on me with a mean grin.

I'm too afraid to look at him, so my eyes are focused on the ground.

He continues "Shelby, Shelby, Shelby Girl. You're not a fucking Shelby ya know. A Shelby Girl would not betray her family like this. Leaving me here alone, moving to her brothers, killing Finn, putting me in bad light turning everyone against me."

Ah there it is. It's not the loss of my mother or Finn, it's his ego that I cranked when I got to Polly for help. Making up excuses for him about some women he had over the floor constantly. It wasn't a lie, but it sure wasn't the reason I felt unsafe at the time. I should've been honest with Polly way earlier. Especially since she has asked me about it for over a hundred times. 

"Get off your clothes" he demands. I'm stiffened, finally looking up at him. His face speaks anger, hate, all for me. As I don't respond he gestures to my dress, which is totally covered in dirt and a little dried up blood from the cuts he made on my legs earlier that day.

"What... no, please, please I beg you. Let me go, I won't tell my brothers or anyone, just let me go..." I feel sick again. Not really sure if I have to vomit or faint. He seriously wants to rape his own daughter? Well, that would be the only thing he hasn't done to me before. I just thought he hated me too much to do that. Now I think, that's the reason he wants to.

"Don't worry, I won't touch ya dirty girl with a finger. Wouldn't even send ma dog for ya" he laughs. It makes him even more scarier. I'm relieved, but too scared to even think about the thing he is about to do.

He stands up and pulls the belt out of his trouser and demands me to stand up.

I know what time it is: he's gonna beat me up again. He wants me to suffer and then he'll shoot me. That's how it's gonna be.

"No, no please no, I beg you dad, please" I try. "Shut up and stand" is all he responds.

I try to stand up, my legs are shaking and the pain makes me puke on the floor, right in front of him. It makes him even more angry. He pulls my arm hard which makes me fall back again. He drags me to a wooden table and throws half of my body on it. My dress is still on, but he doesn't seem to bother about that anymore.

"If you move, I'll promise you I will not stop until I have you in two pieces." He starts taking a position and throws the belt in the air, making it end on my back. Can't explain the unbearable pain it gives me. My sight gets blurry instantly and I scream like never before. The belt keeps coming and coming. I think this is coming close to what hell must feel like.

At this point I want to die. Literally, God please make this stop.

I scream, I cry and when the belt buckle 'accidentally' hits the back of my head. The pain finally stops and my vision turns black again.

Thank you.