Part 16. Act quicker

Tommy's POV

I make my way into the house, returning from a very, very busy day. I have spoken to John and together we made a plan to deal with the whole gun situation. Tomorrow, I'll talk to Arthur and see if I can help him a little in The Garrisson.

It's quiet in the house. Are they gone?

As I walk into the kitchen I see money spread on the table. What's this? Then I hear a strange noice coming from the living room. I put my coat on the table and walk towards the other room. One hand already on my revolver in my pocket. When I open the door I'm startled.

"NO, Please don't, please don't."

Vive's sitting in the corner of the living room, covering her face with her hands, crying and screaming at me. I am in de doorway shocked, as I see her finally looking up to me. When she sees it's me, she starts crying even harder and sighing in relieve at the same time. I walk up to her immediately picking her up from the ground. She's freaking out completely. I quickly search her body for any blood, is she hurt? What the fuck is going on?!

She speaks between her sobbings but I can't make out a word she says. I try to interrupt her.

"Eh, eh, easy love, easy, it's me, it's me." Still not having her full attention.

Vive's shivering and shaking in my arms. This isn't working. I pull her up and I put her on a chair bending in front of her trying to get any sort of contact.

"Arthu.. in a car... m sorry.." she continues. I still don't have a clue.

"Shhh. Vive, look at me now. Eh" I take her head in my both hands demanding her to look at me. She can't seem to control her breathings which causes her to panic even more.

"Breath in, breath out, breath in, breath out." I do this with her, until she finally stops hyperventilating.

"That's it, that's it love. Okay, now you tell me what happened." Tears still running down her cheeks.

"Arthur, he... some men took him. They put him in a car and one man had a gun."

What?! My heart drops by her words. They took Arthur? Why was Arthur here?

"When did this happen? Where's Polly? Did you know the men? Why was Arthur here?" I fire back a bunch of questions as I now know this is serious.

"Uh, before you came. I don't know, I think 30 minutes ago, Polly is on a date, and the men wore some kind of uniform, Arthur was watching me."

Uniform?

"One man had a stick and he asked Arthur about being the boss of the Shelby's."

I stare at Vive's face, as if a better explanation will be written on her forehead. Uniforms... boss Shelby's...

They're coppers.

I stand up walking towards the door "grab your coat!" I demand her. I pick up mine from the kitchen table, put it on and take a quick look outside to see if the street is still empty. I walk back to Vive.

She's still sitting in the chair, not moving a muscle. The little girl is in shock. Again. Even though I definitely don't have time for this I know I can't leave her alone here in the house.

"Vive, I need you to come with me. I'll bring you to John and I'll go get Arthur." I gesture her to come. She finally starts moving her body and she grabs her coat. As I walk her down the streets on our way to John she squeezes my hand tightly. Not saying a word.

After about fifteen minutes we arrive.

"JOHN!" I yell as I knock on the door of his house. He already went to bed I notice as I see the house completely dark. After a few seconds, I hear a sign of life.

"Shh, quiet! Kids are sleeping!" he whispers angrily as he opens the door.

"Vive, go inside." I push her inside the doorway making John step aside looking at me with confusing.

I explain the situation to him and demand him to keep the door locked until I am back with Arthur. At first, he wanted to come with me of course, until he realized he has four kids plus Vive in the house. They couldn't be left alone, especially not now.

"I'll handle it." I tell him as I leave his doorstep. I turn around one more time "take care of Vive tonight!" I add pointing my finger at him.

Vive's POV

I sit down in the living room of John. The room is dark. I hear Tommy talking softly, probably explaining the situation to John. What if something happens to him as well? The thought already makes me nauseous. Then I hear John closing the front door, putting the lock on it.

As he enters the living room he turns on some lights for me and he sits down on a big chair.

"Come'ere" he says and gestures to me. I climb in his lap. He wraps his arms around me and hugs me tightly. Fuck, I start crying again. "Sh, it's alright"

"Tommy will sort it out Vive, you don't have to be scared I promise." He let out a sigh.

"Arthur can handle some stupid coppers with their silly uniforms don't you think? He has had worse, I'll tell you that." He says, giving me a little grin.

I nod. John always knows exactly how to reassure me in these kinds of situations. I think it's because he has children of his own. He just knows what to do.

"Can I sleep with you?" I ask wiping my face dry.

He nods at me. "Yes, that's a good plan. You know what I am going to do? I'll make up your bed here on the couch and I will take the chair next to you." I nod, feeling a little better knowing he'll be in the same room as I.

John gets some blankets and pillows from upstairs making me a nice bed. As I cover myself under the blankets I see him picking a gun from his closet, putting it on the side of the chair he's about to sleep in.

"Goodnight love." he says as he turns off the light.

Goodnight.