3. Discovering Carrie | SAMY

Book: Discovering Carrie
Author: Ghost_Ocean15
Reviewer: TheSamyP
Pages read: 6
Score: 7/10

PRELIMINARIES

I liked the blurb. The lines were quite poetic and enough informative. The little caution note that you added was good. What I did not really like was the cover. I think a story like this deserves a better, professionally made cover. Fact, cover is an essential part of a Wattpad book. Despite their brilliance, many books are overlooked by readers for unattractive covers.

TITLE

The title is very appropriate. The story solely focuses on Carrie, a distressed character who happens to be lesbian. I don't think the title could be any better.

GRAMMAR

The grammatical part has some lose ends. There are missing punctuations, misplaced commas, wrong words, and spelling errors. For example, there is a dialogue in the first chapter which says: "Don't do this Carrie". The blonde lets out a scream... The primary mistake is, there should be a comma instead of a stop and The blonde should be the blonde after comma. The second things is we end a dialogue with a punctuation inside the quotation mark, not outside as you have used. There are several other instances of similar mistakes in the later chapters. Another thing that I'd like to point out- in several places, you've used italics to express the narrator's internal feeling. That is very good. But in those statements, you need not use quotation, which you have used. There are a number of sentences where full stop isn't used. There are a number of words in between sentences where were unnecessarily capitalised. Such errors are to be rectified upon further editing.

NARRATIVE

The narrative is free flowing, jumping from then to now in each chapter. There are two sides of the story, one focuses on Carrie while the other on Lucy. I like the premise of the story. It begins with the end and further in the story, we learn about both the present and past situations.

CHARACTERS

I like the way the characters have been described. Although there wasn't much explanation about the pivotal characters' physical or behavioural aspects, we, as readers can get them quit easily. I have no complaints against them. I live how you portrayed them as two broken souls.

PLOT

The plot was very beautiful, unique and something that is very rare across Wattpad. And I must say that you've fluidly carried out the plot. Although the themes of homosexuality and suicide can be triggering to a part of readers, the aesthetic experience that I had, as reader who is available to all sort of products, is quite fulfilling. The innocent affaire between Lucy and Carrie and how one's death affects the other is probably all the story wanted to convey. I'm happy how well structured the story is.

FINAL THOUGHTS

The story, Discovering Carrie is a beautifully thought, slightly less executed story that, upon revision and editing can be turned to a muster piece. I would suggest you to go through the story once again, and rectify the major grammatical and syntax errors that lessens the delight of the story. Overall, it was a good read.