House of the Holy

In a psych ward Gloria is seated quietly on her bed in a psych ward,  Her hair is straight and her face clean; she's wearing a bathrobe and reading a book held in her left hand and the door opens behind her and she turns and she says "Good morning. You're not the usual guy." It's Sam and he's wearing white scrubs and says "No, uh, just filling in. So how you feeling today, Gloria?" Gloria says "I've never felt better."

 Sam asks "So, no disturbances lately?" Gloria says "You mean am I stark raving cuckoo for cocoa puffs?" Sam says "I didn't' say that." Gloria says "It's all right. I know what people must think." Sam says "What do you think?" Gloria looks at him and says "I think what I saw was real." 

Sam looks around, pulls up a chair and sets the clipboard down He leans forward, elbows on knees, and gives her an intensely earnest look and asks "I'd like to know what you saw." Gloria says "It was all over the news. I stabbed a man in the heart." Sam says "Why would you do that?" Gloria says "Because it was God's will." Sam asks Gloria "Did God talk to you?"Gloria says "No. I get the sense God's a little busy for house calls. No, he, he sent someone." Sam asks "Someone?" Gloria says "An angel. It came to me in this beautiful white light, and it filled me with this feeling. It's, it's hard to describe." 

Sam asks "And this angel..." Gloria says "Spoke God's Word." Sam asks "And the Word was to kill someone?" Gloria says "I know, it sounds strange. But what I did was very important. I helped him smite an evil man. I was chosen. For redemption." Sam asks "This man you stabbed, did the angel give you his name?" Gloria says "No, he just told me to wait for the sign. And the very next day I saw it, right beside the man's doorway. And I knew." Sam asks "Why him?" Gloria says "I just know what the angel told me: that this man was guilty to his deepest foundations. And that was good enough for me."