s i x t y - f o u r

"Emily!" The three heard from behind them. She spun around and. Grin formed at her lips. She slipped out from Anthony's grip and hugged Tom tightly. "I missed you!"

"I've missed you too, Tom." She laughed, pulling away from his grip "How's Tessa?"

"She's great." He nodded with a smile "How are you, though?"

Emily's smile faded and she looked down at her hands, that were resting in Tom's "I don't know, Tom." She shrugged "I've avoided him so far, but I don't know how long I can carry on."

"You should talk to him." He suggested "That's the only way you're going to move on."

"That's the problem." She let out a long sigh and let her head fall forward onto Tom's shoulder "I don't want to get over him. I miss him." He rubbed his hand up and down her back in a soothing manner, widening his eyes at Sebastian and Anthony (who were just stood watching) basically asking for help. They both just crossed their arms and shrugged at him. "I made a mistake, Tommy."

"Uh- I've never actually been in this situation before- so- maybe just talk to him and- work things out between you two?"

She lifted her head and looked at him with a pout "yeah... I guess so. Thank you."

"No problem." He smiled "even though I didn't actually do anything."

---------

Emily could feel her heart beating in her throat. Her mouth was as dry as the Sahara Desert and her fingernails were embedded into her palms. Was she really about to do this after breaking his heart without a second thought? What if he was already over her? It had only been a few weeks, but it was possible, right? What if he had called Erin again and actually gone through with it?

She contemplated turning around and avoiding him at all costs, but after talking to her older brother, Tom and Robert, they had convinced her that talking to him was the best thing to do.

She raised her closed fist to the door of his trailer, but before it could make contact, it opened. "Emily?" Chris breathes with his eyebrows creased. "I thought you weren't coming for another two weeks."

"They needed me earlier..." she barely even squeaked. The silence that followed was empty and awkward as they stared into each other's eyes, not being able to find the right words to say.

"Do you- come in, or?"

She nodded with her lips pursed into a straight line. Chris stepped back, allowing his love to move into the trailer. They took a seat opposite each other, silence still consuming them.

"Emily, I-" "Chris, I-" they eventually blurted out, coincidentally at the same time

"You go-" "You can-" small smiles worked onto each of their lips.

"No really-" "Really, you-" the pair couldn't suppress their laughter, chuckles slipping past their dry lips. Chris let out a heavy breath, grinning at the way her eyes crinkled in the corners when she smiled. Her hair was tucked neatly behind her ears, as it always was, and her lips here a beautiful shade of ruby red. Man, he longed to kiss those ruby red lips.

"Okay, I'll start." Chris cleared his throat, a small smile still set at his lips. "You look great, Em."

She looked down at her lap and tried to fight off the same blush that she felt when she first met him. "Thank you. So do you."

The silence that followed felt different. It wasn't empty and cold and awkward. It felt natural. It felt like they were just happy being in each others company again. Emily parted her lips to speak, but Chris beat her to it. "Let me just say something- I didn't call her when we split. I- I haven't called anybody. You have to know that I'm so sorry-"