Chapter:23

(Cassandra's POV)

I wasn't used to wearing heels. The only thing worse then having to go to this stupid dinner party would be to fall flat on my ass trying to navigate my way down the steep staircase.
I sighed before attempting to walk over to the door. I found myself clinging onto every piece of furniture in the room for support. Who knew walking in heels could be so difficult.
I had almost reached the door when it swung open, almost hitting me.

There stood Ace dresses in an expensive looking suit that seemed to tighten around his muscles perfectly. We both stood there for several moments taking in each others appearances before he was first to interrupt the heavy silence.

"You look beautiful baby." I rolled my eyes at his pet name for me.

"Not to bad yourself." Did I really just say that out loud?

His face held a startled expression from my comment, compared to his usual grim, cold and completely unfazed demeanour. The switch in emotion changed ever so quickly, I wouldn't have even noticed it if I had been able to take my eyes off of him...which being honest, I couldn't. I didn't miss how he eyed me as if I was a piece of meat, an action that quite  annoyed me. My stomach was in knots, and I didn't fully understand why.

My feelings for Ace up to this point were completely bipolar. I hated him...but I also secretly desired him at times, I guess it's just hard to admit to myself I could be attracted to such a terrible person. Which lately I had been trying to convince myself I wasn't.

"Wanna take a picture, it'll last longer"

And poof! All those confused feelings were instantly gone. My clear conscience hated him.

"Cmon" he nodded towards the door while bending out his arm, gesturing for me to take it. I got a sudden boost of confidence and despite barely being able to walk five minutes ago, I strutted past him, not even giving him a second glance. Completely rejecting him and his arm. As I approached the stair case, I paused and stared down at the few guests waiting in the entrance already.
I had a bit of social anxiety, and usually freaked out in large crowds, or at least when I was suppose to interact with them in a social setting. Mind you, this could be considered perfect timing to discover a chance to either escape or seek help. Despite the thoughts at the back of my mind screaming I should use this opportunity to break free and that it was "now or never", I figured the majority of people at this particular event wouldn't be so willing to lend a helping hand. Not to mention, I had lost all hopes I could ever escape Ace, He would hunt me till the ends of the earth if I ever fled this cerebral hell.

I could feel the beads of sweat starting to form on my forehead, everything felt blurry and all those voices that were filling my head up a minute ago became indistinguishable. My heart was racing as I exhaled and was about to attempt the stairs when a low voice brought me back to reality.

"Nervous?" I turned my head slightly to find Ace not looking at me, but more at the people below. His side profile really was stunning, I don't think I had ever noticed it till now, how perfect all his features were from the front and side. When I hadn't answered he tilted his head slightly, just enough to glance at me. He raised an eyebrow in response to my silence. I just looked away and blinked several times before completely ignoring his question. I was about to step down the first stair when I unsurprisingly lost my balance and began to fall forwards. Before I could fall any further I felt a large pair of hands wrap around my waist and steady me, I turned my head to find Ace staring down at me. Despite being ready to continue walking downstairs, he didn't let go...instead his hands seemed to tighten around me

"Ace? What are you doing?" I quietly asked. He just stared at me with a look I have yet to figure out.

"Nothing. Shall we?" He finally let go and held out his arm, repeating his same action from earlier. This time I accepted his arm, and gripped onto his upper muscle for support.

When we reached the bottom of the stairs, Ace guided me towards a group of men, they all gave me the same look Ace did earlier. This time however, the looks I received made me feel uncomfortable. I'm guessing Ace noticed the looks on their faces too, because I felt him stiffen and attempt to pull my body even closer to his.

"Cassandra, this is; Tye, Zander, Xavier and Jason. Guys this is my...girlfriend" Alec stated.

"Hi it's nice to meet you all" I squeaked out, a few octaves higher then my voice usually is. Ace shot me a glare. What the glare was for? I have no idea, but something seemed to really bother him. The men made no effort to hide the fact they were obviously checking me out. I blushed, suddenly feeling overly exposed.

"Oh the pleasure's all mine" Xavier, one of the more attractive of the 4 responded. He was a handsome tall, brunette wearing a complete black tuxedo. when I made eye contact, I caught his obvious smirk, which he attempted to hide by biting his lip. I smiled and looked down not sure what else to do.

"I have to go greet a few more people. Cassandra?" Ace gestured for me to follow, but before I could respond, Xavier spoke for me;

"She's okay here for now. I'd like the chance to get to know this beautiful woman whose caught the boss's attention." He said with a grin plastered to his face. Alec glared at him hard before just shaking his head and walking away. I ignored his attitude towards this, and turned to all the men and smiled attempting to ease the awkward tension. Unfortunately, my smile soon faded when I looked up at all the men. I felt like I was in a lions den. All the men appeared to be over 5'11 and quite intimidating. They all stared down at me with hungry looks in their eyes, and I could fully understand now why Ace was so unwilling to leave me here with them.

"Can I get you something to drink?" Xavier asked.

"Please" I managed to say with a smile, which he politely returned before leaving me with the rest of the lions in the circle. I tried to meet the men's harsh gazes, but I was much too intimidated to hold eye contact for longer then several seconds.

This is gonna be a long, long night.