Chapter:25

(Trigger warning - abuse)

Jessie hadn't left my side as we walked back towards the circle of men I had previously been standing with. He placed his hand on my lower back and attempted to close the vicinity between us. At this point, I realized Jessie also obviously had too much to drink, therefore wasn't fully accountable for his actions. Nevertheless, if Alec caught sight of his intimate gesture, even in Jessie's drunken state, there would be hell to pay. My eyes rigorously scanned each room nearby for Alec, yet I didn't realize till it was too late, how close he really was...

My heart momentarily stopped as my eyes landed on the amber pair already staring back at me. Alec's jaw noticeably tightened, as his eyes fell to the arm around my waist. Oddly enough however, he didn't say anything - he didn't pounce on Jessie, nor castigate me like I had predicted. Instead, Alec maintained his composure, his face vague of any emotion. His eyes however, told a different story. I could see the storm brewing in them, confirming his inner rage to me. My confusion only escalated when I peered up at Jessie, who was staring straight at Alec, as he tightened his grip around my waist, my mouth unintentionally fell agape to Jessie's invidious action.

Why was he intentionally trying to make Alec upset? Are they fighting? Does he know Jessie kissed me?

The questions swarming my mind were interrupted by the sudden sound of glass breaking, in which my eyes quickly glanced up to find an unsettling image displayed in front of me. Alec had squeezed his glass of scotch to the point of shattering. My eyebrows knitted together in concern at the amount of blood pouring from his hand, yet Alec didn't so much as wince at the severe injury.

"Excuse me" Alec blankly said to the circle of men, whose faces were also painted with similar confusion. As he headed towards the kitchen, Alec's hand left a trail of blood on the marble floor behind him. Despite my shock, I cleared my throat before mustering the calmest voice I possibly could;

"What the hell was that about?" I whispered to Jessie.

"Nothing, don't worry about it." He restrained, his eyes still focused in the direction of Alec.

"Don't worry about it? Are you kidding me, how am I suppose to not worry about that. Tell me what's going on?"

"Nothing is going on, fuck" Jessie suddenly snapped at me in an exasperated tone, which I'd be lying if I said didn't somewhat hurt my feelings.

"Even these random alexithymics could pick up there was something going on, why won't you tell me what it is?" I softly pleaded, trying not to drag attention to our conversation, yet becoming utterly frustrated.

My irritation only grew with each passing minute I was forced to stand there, oblivious to what was going on. The feeling of Jessie's hand still on my waist burned my skin and I started to pull away from his embrace, but the more I pulled away, the tighter his grip got.

"Because I don't owe you a fucking explanation Cassandra. Remember that in this household you're nothing more than a fucking pet."

Ouch.

"Let. Me. Go." Blatantly ignoring my request, Jessie's grip only tightened around me, as he shot me an indignant look. I couldn't help the tears that prickled my eyes after hearing that last part, I wished more than anything I could have, because the last thing I wanted was to seem weak and prove his point, but to compare me to a pet...I was just as worthless to him as I was to Alec.

"Jessie, let me go." I asserted, despite my wobbly voice.

Finally, he removed his arm completely before looking back at me to say something, but I wasn't going to stick around and find out what. In a swift motion I turned on my heels to walk away.

"Cassandra wait, I'm sorry" Jessie called after me, as he reached for my wrist.

I ignored his apology, shaking my arm out of his grasp. My feet led me to the kitchen before my mind could even process where I was heading. As I pushed through the doors, my breath hitched as I realized who was already occupying the room. In front of me stood a very livid Alec, blood seeping through the cloth around his hand, while his eyebrows furrowed in anger at my presence.

"Alec I-"

Before the words could leave my lips, I was being firmly pinned against the wall by Alec, his face mere inches away from mine.

"Did you fuck him" he seethed.

"What? Who?" My initial shock to the abrupt question had me confused as to who he was even referring to.

"Did. You. Fuck. Him." Alec repeated in a bitter tone, placing emphasis on each word. It then suddenly clicked in my mind he was referring to Jessie.

"N-no, absolutely not!"

"Don't lie to me"

"I'm not!" I cried out as his grip around my wrists painfully tightened, a piece of glass from his hand cutting into my skin.

"Why the fuck was his hand around your waist then?" Alec asked through gritted teeth.

"Well I-I"

"You what?" Alec's glare deepened before he ruthlessly stuck his nails into my arm.

"I don't know! Please just stop!" I screamed back as tears began to stream down my crimson tinted cheeks.

After glaring at me for several more moments he then released my arms and turned his head to the side, as if contemplating something. All I could do was watch in suspense, a knot in the pit of my stomach growing, as I anxiously awaited his next move. His clenched jaw and perfectly sculpted features seemed to goldenly glow under the canary dim lighting of the kitchen. I quickly averted my eyesight the moment his hostile orbs returned to me. Suddenly the silence surrounding us seemed very loud, the tension growing thicker with each suffocating, passing second.

When he suddenly struck me, I didn't see it coming. It was just a quick blur, a bright flash out of the corner of my eye. Then the side of my face exploded, burned with pain, as his hand slammed against me. The sound was like a gunshot, echoing throughout the empty kitchen. My ears were ringing and the stinging sensation immediately made my eyes tear up. It wasn't until I reeled my head back against the wall, my vision slowly clearing, as my hand instantly shot up to cup my burning cheek, that the harsh reality set in. He hit me.

"I can't believe you just did that." I whispered, a single tear rolling down my cheek.

"Don't ever fucking talk to him again." Was the only response I got in return before Alec brushed passed me as if nothing had even happened.