Chapter 22: Summer of third year

"Why so quiet, boys?" she asked enthusiastically. "Enjoying your coffee?"

Remus and Peter nodded mutely, while Sirius shook his head vigorously. James was silent.

"What's gotten into you guys?" exclaimed Arabella, surprised. "Usually you guys are plotting and planning your next pranks at school! Oh wait, I know..." She looked at them sympathetically. "You guys miss the wizard—our world, don't you?"

The four boys nodded mutely, and James finally spoke up. "Look, it's really nice here—but it's not like home. I can't imagine life without using magic. You girls are getting used to it, but I don't know if we can." He glanced around at the rest of the Marauders.

"Look, Potter, I understand," said Lily, in a calm voice. "I know it's different and I know how you feel. I felt the same way you do at our first year at Hogwarts. Everything was so different: ghosts existed, magic was around every corner, and creatures such as centaurs and unicorns, which are imaginary in this world, existed in your world. So, if you feel that you need to go home..." She gulped.

"We won't leave you and the girls, Lil," said Remus, trying to comfort her. "Don't worry we'll get used to it." And to confirm his statement, the other three boys nodded over-enthusiastically. They didn't want to hurt Lily's feelings because of their own selfish reasons. After all, she did invite them to her home warmly, providing them food and shelter for the whole summer.

Lily gave them a warm smile. "Thanks, guys. I didn't want you guys to ditch us girls here all alone. After all, you're a great source of entertainment."

"Really?" The boys' faces brightened, and Jennifer grinned.

"Come on, Remie, surely you don't want to leave me for the whole summer, do you?" she asked coyly, her fingers intertwining with his.

"Yeah, Siri, what about your poor Bella, huh?" said Arabella, pouting.

Lily shook her head, smiling, though James saw pain in her green eyes. He knew that she probably wanted someone to cuddle next to her like Arabella and Jennifer had, and to comfort her when she was sad or kiss her when she was happy. He sighed. James also wanted that type of girl, but...there wasn't much of a chance that he'd find her. Nearly all the girls at Hogwarts, excluding the Slytherins, chased him around like lost puppies. He knew that they only liked him for his looks and his reputation and cared not a whit about his personality. If only he would ever find a girl that cared more about the kind of person, he was instead of caring about "that cute pout and the adorable eyes".

Arabella and Sirius, seeing their friends' troubled faces, smiled evilly at each other. "Those two need to get together," whispered Sirius.

"They're not even friends yet; how could they?" hissed Arabella.

"Well, they need each other, Bella. Poor Jamie-boy never can find his true love, since the girls who chase him around are a bunch of stupid airheads, who go for a guy's looks instead of his personality."

"Wow, Sirius, I think that was the most sentimental thing you've ever said in your life," said Arabella sarcastically.

"What?" asked Jennifer.

"Aww...finished your snog session with Remie, Jen?" Arabella smirked.

Jennifer blushed. "We were not snogging, were we, Remus?"

"Of course not!" exclaimed Remus, scandalised at the very thought of "snogging".

"See, Bella." Jennifer stuck her tongue out at her friend.

"Blah...Lils, this coffee is nast-y and I hate tea, so is there anything else to drink?" asked Sirius hopefully, making a face at the cup of black liquid in front of him.

"Sure." Lily went up to the cashier and came back a few minutes later with a glass of cranberry juice and a platter of cinnamon-and-raisin bread for Sirius.

"How come he gets the good stuff?" demanded James, as Sirius ate and drank hungrily. "Aww...do you have a little crush on my best friend?"

Lily glared at him. "No, Potter, I was actually just sick of Sirius whining all day about how nasty coffee and tea is. And now he's shut up considerably nicely, thanks all to me."

James sniffed disdainfully. "You think you're so perfect and wonderful, Evans. Well, you're not."

"James Potter, how can you say such a thing?" cried Violet, standing up. The whole café went quiet, but she took no notice. "Lily has welcomed us, even you, who's been her enemy for so long, into her home for the whole summer, and now you're insulting her! How can you dare?" She sat down again; her eyes glazed.

Everyone at the table was silent, even Jennifer, who didn't make her usual comment of congratulations to Violet. James bit his lip and opened his mouth to apologise to Lily, but she didn't want him to talk.

"Don't apologize, James," she said sharply.

"But Lily—"

"James, just shut up!"

"But—"

"Now!"

James shut up nicely, though he was extremely hurt. Why hadn't Lily wanted him to apologize? After all, he had insulted her like Violet had stated.

Meanwhile, Lily was furious at James. Why couldn't he ever keep his fat mouth shut? He always insulted her and wounded her self-esteem, though she rarely did so to him.

Arabella and Sirius exchanged nervous glances at each other, while Jennifer and Remus ate their sweet bread and scones in silence. Violet was still fuming over James, while Peter placed his hand on hers as a sign of comfort. She smiled wearily at him, though she was still livid at James.

And so that was how the afternoon passed—slow and silent.