ONE

My heart dropped into the pit of my stomach when I heard the sirens going. 

My eyes found the clock on my computer and panic spread through my entire being. It was almost dusk and I was still inside the office building I worked at, with a fifteen-minute walk between where I was and my apartment.

This is all her fault.

Cindy.

She is the editor to the Belle Publishing Company and I am her assistant.

More like her bitch.

I can't remember the last time she actually read any of the books that come through our office. I'm always the one to read them and meet with the clients. I'm her ghost writer, I answer her emails, I even make her homemade lunches because she is 'too busy' to do it herself.

I've been at the BPC for about 3 years now, and to say I'm overworked and underpaid would just be a nice way of saying it.

I'm basically her bitch.

She left three hours ago for a 'meeting' but I knew it was to meet up with her loser boyfriend. I know he's a loser because he doesn't contribute to anything in their relationship. I have to hear about it all the time. He claims to be a 'freelance architect' but that's just him playing Minecraft all day in her apartment.

At first, I felt bad for her. I really did.

But then the more I got to know her the more I understood the movie Devil Wear's Prada.

Earlier today she came into my office space that was connected to hers with a project that just needed to be done right away.

"It's a new client, so don't fuck it up."

It was due within a few days so I stayed late to get as far as I could. That lead me to lose track of time and now, as I scramble to get all of my things around, I'm seriously contemplating just spending the night in the office.

But then I remembered we had a meeting in the morning, and there would be no time between dawn and the time I needed to be here for me to get there, get ready and back again.

I just needed to run.

If I run, I'll make it home with now issues.

At least that's what I thought.

By the time I got outside, it was way too dark for comfort, and I had no idea what time it was. The sirens had stopped sounding and my phone was dead, thanks to Cindy for stealing my phone charger.

"You won't need it, you'll be too focused to look at your phone. Unless you need more work." Her annoying voice rang in my ears.

I always told myself to never wish badly upon anyone, even those I did not like. But as I ran down the sidewalk, the empty dark sidewalk, I couldn't help but to wish her an illness that would cause violent diarrhea.

I started to get winded.

I wasn't a runner.

At this point I didn't know if the sun had set, and I thought 'let one take me' I don't care anymore.

I took a short breather, right outside an alleyway I was familiar with. I knew I was almost home and as I huffed and puffed, I seriously reevaluated my employment and decided it would be a good night to spruce up my resume.

I leaned up against the cold brick wall and took a look around me. There was still no one. Everyone was secured inside their homes, probably having a nice meal as they ignored the crazy that was about to ensue around them.