Rolling Stone

FEBRUARY 7, 2022 12:40AM ET

How 'Fine Line' took hold of the Grammy Awards 2022Harry Styles' latest LP 'Fine Line' snagged AOTY, but not only that, just a few days ago. Today we dive in deeper to the album that legend Stevie Nicks herself called Styles' 'Rumours'.

By ROLLING STONE

From a boybander to a rockstar, that is how Harry Styles is often described. He came to his own in 2017, almost five years ago with a self-titled debut album that was a tribute to classic rock and a wonderful detachment from his One Direction years. This year, Styles is sweeping awards left and right with 'Fine Line', a complex and stunning piece of work that will surely be remembered for generations to come. What was the inspiration behind the stroke of genius?

Twelve songs, each different than the other, coming together to create a cohesive (love?)story. Our office is definitely on the side that is ecstatic about Fine Line's Album of the Year win, along with two more accolades - Best Pop Vocal Album and Song of the Year for 'Lights Up'. With this era, Styles truly came to be the artist he was supposed to be all along. He cemented himself in the ears and eyes of the public with three consecutive no. 1 hits on Pop Radio and his first Billboard Hot 100 (which was long overdue but we can excuse since his acting projects did take some time away from music). His image and aesthetic gained their own relevance and Styles is on the exact right path to becoming the new Bowie of his generation, but a cooler one with a heart of gold and incredible influence overflowing with kindness.

The most popular story of 'Fine Line' is that of heartbreak. It would be foolish to not account some of the heart-wrenching lyrics behind the very debated breakup between Styles and his ex-bandmate Zayn Malik, who shocked their fans and the public with a lengthy romantic relationship. That story had its unfortunate ending last spring, not even three months before their much-anticipated wedding. Songs like 'Fine Line' and 'Falling' capture that heartbreak, the love lost but never forgotten encapsulated forever in words that are heavy to hear live. There is bitterness, best shown in 'Cherry' where Styles clearly sings of resentment towards his ex-lover, that is now with someone else and seemingly throwing it into his face. Ultimately, however, 'Fine Line' isn't a "breakup album". The story doesn't end here.

'Lights Up' is in Styles' own words a song about self-acceptance and exploration, the repetitive lyrics "Do you know who you are?" beckoning you to dive deep into yourself to find your true self too. 'Treat People With Kindness' is a fun affair, meant as a celebration of friendships and feeling good just as you are. The album makes you smile with poppy hits like 'Adore You' as well, and those scream everything but lying on the floor of your kitchen and crying for you lover. We believe Styles described the album best in his acceptance speech for Album of the Year:

Um, I genuinely didn't expect this. Not now, probably not ever. So I'm... flabbergasted, yeah. That's a good word for it, right? The reality of this moment won't truly hit me for a while so, um, I just wanted to say the biggest thank you to the Recording Academy, to every single person I've worked with on this album, especially to my friends and my family who had to suffer through my playing them snippets of songs at all times. Fine Line came into existence very quickly, took just a few weeks last summer. But they were very crucial to me, to my identity and my life. It's not an album about heartbreak, not exclusively. I'd say it's a deep look into my head, my soul. It's life, it's dreams, it's memories. The past, the present, the future. It's me. In the end... the album is about no one else but me. With, um, with Lights Up, I tried to nudge that feeling of relief, of accepting who you are, to everyone who ever listened to it. The end goal is happiness, right? I think I found happiness right here with this record. Music is an integral part of me and I fell in love with it all over again while making Fine Line. The album is very joyous at its core, even if it might not always seem like it. So thank you, for this little golden record player. Thank you for supporting me, I wouldn't be standing on this stage without my fans and all the people who took the time of their day to listen to my music. And most importantly, thank you to all the people in my life who love me and prove to me every single day that love is in every little thing that you do. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

To sum up, 'Fine Line' is the inside of Styles' brain and heart, all wrapped up in a neat 12-song package that has touched millions. If Stevie Nicks isn't afraid to say she's obsessed with it, neither are we and we definitely recommend you grab a copy, ideally on vinyl but even opening up your Spotify and clicking play is good. All in all, you don't need a detailed backstory to enjoy 'Fine Line'. The album is self-explanatory, the music speaks for itself and no amount of "drama" can tarnish a great record.

-----------------------

hi guys!! quite unusual of me but... based on statistics, i've noticed that many of you unfortunately only read the last chapter of the article series and usually, the last chapter is the least significant? so i'm gonna post these slowly (i think one every day?) so you have the time to read them all on their own 😌 and thank you all so so so so so so much for reading!! you guys are the best!💞💞💞💞💞💞💞