EU 2

Reality sometimes seems incredibly bizarre. You're out living your life, doing your little tasks, and then it hits you - this is my life. You could be picking up some groceries, walking in the park, taking a shower. It comes out of nowhere. It's not usually at those life-altering moments that shape you as a person. The realization normally comes in quiet, mundane moments.

Harry's had plenty of moments like that. The first time it truly hit him, he was seventeen and he was visiting a friend who was at uni. Harry stayed over at his flat for a night and as he was doing dishes in the morning, he realized that he needed to go to the studio the next day. It seemed so normal, right? 'Oh, I've got to go and record an album.' A chore, a task, nothing out of the ordinary. But then it did hit Harry, that while his friend was worrying about lectures and assessments, Harry's life was somewhere completely elsewhere. He was unimaginably lucky and that was his life then. At that point in time, he had no idea if the band would be a success, if he wouldn't end up as some D-list celebrity who was basically only tabloid fodder.

Thankfully, that didn't happen and Harry's achieved even more success on his own than with the band and it's a little bit insane, isn't it? He's only in his early 30's and he has multiple Grammys, he's been nominated for an Oscar, not to mention others awards. Sold out tours, chart-topping albums, box office successes - all that is just Harry's reality. When he was a little kid, he was messing about with his dad's records and now, he casually talks to Stevie Nicks almost every day and they've made music together, they've performed together. His idols from his childhood know who he is and they respect him as an artist. It's a dream come true. It's a one in like, ten million, opportunity.

But even his extraordinary life has its mundane moments. When Harry's away from the camera flashes of stardom, he tries to lead a very normal life. He thinks he's doing pretty well with it too. So on one hand, his reality-check comes when he's on the stage with thousands of people screaming his name but on the other, his reality hits him in the heart in a quiet moment with the man he's loved half his life.

It's customary for Harry to wake up before Zayn, even more so when he's working. He likes to start his day quite early then, get a workout and a breakfast in before he needs to be on set or at the studio. Ever since their very beginnings, Harry's loved to trace Zayn's features when he was asleep. He always looks so young, peaceful. Like nothing in the universe could potentially disturb. So Harry does it now then, with the house eerily quiet and sun timidly peeking through the curtains. He traces the straight line of Zayn's nose, his high cheekbones, his lips. His jawline is smooth, the skin shaved just last night and Harry can't stop himself before he places a fleeting kiss there. The movement of Harry's finger and his lips manages to rouse Zayn from his sleep, as it always does.

"Good morning," he rasps, a slow close-lipped smile greeting Harry. His eyes open carefully and meet Harry's gaze.

"Morning," Harry smiles. "What did you dream about?"

Zayn laughs. "Can't remember."

"Hope it was about me," Harry teases and lies his head down on Zayn's chest.

"Don't need to, you're right here in the flesh."

Harry hums. "I've the day off tomorrow. Something on the set needs rebuilding before we can move on with filming after today. We should do something."

"We should," Zayn agrees. "We're not often alone anymore."

"That's true."

They lay in companionable silence for a good while, simply enjoying each other's company. Harry feels himself slipping down the dangerous slope of morning post-alarm sleep and forces himself to sit up in the bed.