Chapter 4:

"Well, no. We're not a couple-"
"Yes, we are! We're a couple of acquaintances!"

The moment Jaemin and Mark booked at a local hotel, Mark already knew that it's going to be embarrassing. Jaemin was comfortable around Mark and the people in the small part of the kingdom which is the city. The woman shook her head as she gave the two of them their room number.

When Jaemin was about to pay for the hotel room, Mark's eyes widened as he grabbed his own wallet.

"No, Jaemin. I'll pay for this."

Mark says as he pays for the hotel room. He already changed the currency of his money way before he met Jaemin. He came prepared for this because he knew this day was very important to him.

"So, what do we do tomorrow?"
"We go to the oldest church which is gonna be in a horse ride then we walk into the abandoned kingdom which is just behind the church."
"... Ugh. Churches..."
"... What's so bad about churches?"
"I ran away from a wedding from the last two days-"
"THE LAST TWO DAYS?! You ran away from a wedding FROM THE LAST TWO DAYS?! Mark, what is your plan?!-"
"It was an arranged marriage, Jaemin! I didn't like the woman and the only place I know where to escape is here. I can change my name here because I'm originally a Canadian and that I've lived here for ten years since birth!"
"... Well, that kind of makes sense. With me, you'll have endless knowledge about Korea and no one will practically recognize you here unlike in the states... That's pretty smart, Mark."
"What can I say? I'm an herb expert AND a businessman."

Mark was proud of himself and what he had finished through his expensive and informative education. Jaemin and Mark stayed at the hotel for a day as they were about to go to the oldest church which is just in front of the abandoned kingdom. Mark never had an experience in discovering abandoned places but he surely had an experience in discovering new types of herbs.

It's going to be a long journey for Mark if Haechan doesn't even remember him.

~

"What are you guarding in there, mate?"
"This prince is almost non-existent, partner. He rarely shows up and you don't even know if he's dead!"
"Well, what's he doing up in that dirty old palace anyways?!"
"The king and queen said he's in a "self-medication" but I think he just passed away there."
"Yeah, he's a monster anyways."

Those were the types of conversations that Haechan overhears every morning. He absolutely hated everyone except for Jeno and Jeno's mother. He couldn't believe his own father declared that he turned into a monster when he only used it as a term because he couldn't feel anything.

Pain? No. Happiness? No. He was just a blank human being...

Or so he thought... He already developed different types of abilities throughout his five year "self-medication". His senses were more alert, his strength was almost undefeatable, and he can turn things cold.

He can turn anything too cold that it becomes frozen.

Haechan looked through the window at the guards who were at the ground floor. He, then, felt his chest tightening as he also felt like his lungs were burning. Haechan collapsed on the floor, his sight being blurry while he called for help.

Jeno rushed into his bedroom, helping him immediately.

"Your highness, what is happening?!"
"... I'm c-cold."

He says as he blacks out once again.

~

"Oh, god. This is tiring!"

Jaemin complains as he walks with Mark into the back of the oldest church which leads them to the abandoned kingdom. Mark was fascinated at the looks of this place because it was dark in there and fireflies were everywhere. It's barely even night and it's... dark?

Mark knew this place isn't normal at all but Jaemin doesn't even notice about the traits of this place.

Maybe it was because Jaemin knew that this abandoned kingdom was different from any place on Earth.

"Was it night already?... Jaemin?"
"... Oh, that? No, it's not night. This place became very odd and different when the king and queen abandoned it. You know, people don't go here that much because they're afraid of the unusual traits of this place. First, it's already dark even if it's morning. Second, fireflies are everywhere. Third, they have different types of flowers that probably even you don't even know about..."
"... So, is this place magical or what?"
"I don't believe in magic but I think it is. I usually come here when it isn't like this yet and I stopped coming here when..."

Jaemin stops walking, gulping before he continues what he was supposed to say. Mark was curious about what Jaemin saw in the abandoned kingdom they were currently walking in.

"... Forget it. Let's keep moving."

Mark didn't know how to respond so he just nodded and walked with Jaemin into the kingdom. Thirty minutes of walking and they still didn't find the abandoned palace. Since the kingdom was abandoned, the plants in there grew over time and it covered almost every spot except for the roads.

It really looked magical there and Mark wondered how a place could look like this jaw-dropping.

"My ankles hurt. Can we sit?"

Jaemin complains once again as Mark nods and sits beside him under a tree. Mark squinted his eyes and looked around the place. Jaemin wasn't kidding when he said the flowers were different from the usual flowers you see everyday.

They literally glow in the dark.

When Mark looked around, he noticed a man watching them.

"Jaemin, I think we need to-"
"What?"
"... I think someone lives here."
"... That's impossible?"
"There's literally someone watching us!"

Mark says as he turns around to look at the man watching them only to realize that the man was already in front of him. That man was definitely not human as it caused Mark to freak out.

"WHO ARE YOU, SIR?!"
"... I am Renjun, the elf who guards Prince Haechan's safety. Who are you exactly?"