Chapter 27:

"Chenle, I think we should check-"
"On it."

Chenle responds as Renjun nodded, watching over the others as well. Basically, Jeno and Areum were the only people who were living in the palace since Renjun suggested that Haechan, Mark, and Jaemin should stick with him and Chenle. Renjun felt a bit ashamed since he was once "rude" or "bitchy" towards them.

Renjun didn't know how to interact with anyone at all in a friendly way.

He's too focused on doing his job, always deciding what's best for others. He's basically like a guardian since that's most likely his role on Earth. He had to keep Haechan safe because Jisung really is a deadly threat to literally anyone.

If he couldn't protect the elves, he'll protect the humans instead.

He walked towards the wooden board of mirror shards, placing the single shard Mark and Jaemin used yesterday. Everyone in the study was currently reading information that included "ethereal defenses" and the "use of hidden power" which can help them fight against Jisung, a powerful threat.

Even Haechan had to read about them, he was the only one who had stable "iced" abilities and he knew he can't defeat Jisung with only his quick reflexes.

Chenle went beside Renjun, checking each of the mirror shards with him. Renjun, then, notices a huge painting of Haechan with his current appearance. That painting was hanging on the vacant wall of the new palace.

What's worse is that it has the "Have you seen this man?" phrase that was written in bold letters.

"... Oh, god. They know..."

Renjun muttered under his breath, panicking at how Jisung found out about Haechan and his new appearance. Chenle looked behind him to see Haechan being too focused in reading the book.

"Do we tell him?-"
"Haechan."

Renjun ignored Chenle, calling Haechan immediately. Haechan lifted his head up, standing up from the chair as he walked towards Renjun.

"What's wrong?-"
"Look at what you've done."
"Why? What is it?- Oh."

Haechan looked closer at the mirror shard, seeing his face plastered on a huge wall. He felt disappointed with what he did. Haechan thinks quickly which is great but thinking too quickly and not deeply will most likely ruin his whole life.

"We have to start planning about fixing this mess you've created."

Renjun said with a calmer tone than before. Renjun has been recently spending time alone quietly as he secretly asks for Mark's help in meditation. Living for more than ten decades can be stressful for him especially that his current role is being a guardian of a stubborn prince.

Renjun feels exhausted but he doesn't want to rest because he's also a stubborn elf, too.

"Uh... Um... May I have your attention?! I only have thirty seconds to discuss this-"
"Why? Are you in a hurry?"

Jaemin asks with a confused look on his face.

"No but I like to completely grab all of your attention because none of you listen to me as much as Chenle does and Chenle has a very short, almost non-existent attention span so listen up, you mutts."

Again, Renjun doesn't want to rest but is already too exhausted. The two of them, Mark and Jaemin, walked towards Renjun as they listened to what he was about to say.

"So... Haechan is all over the new kingdom as all the citizens AND knights are currently searching for him everywhere since Jisung's psychotic intentions were supposed to be "followed" by everyone in the kingdom. Any suggestions on what we can do to prevent this large chaos from happening? Or more like how we can protect Haechan from those douchebags... Suggestions? Give me suggestions now."

Renjun asks with a stern voice, receiving no suggestion at all. Renjun must've intimidated everyone except himself.

"... I think I should talk to Haechan about this- Will you give us minutes?"
"... Fine... but make it quick."

Renjun says as Mark nods, grabbing Haechan's arm and forcing him to go with him to a private space. Mark was still truly worried for Haechan's safety, especially that Haechan's face is basically shown everywhere and that he's being chased by the knights. He can definitely notice the terror in Haechan's eyes even if his facial expression says otherwise.

It turns out that the private space was just outside Renjun's hidden substitute study.

"... Alright, now listen... Why do you do this to yourself?"
"I don't know, Mark. I don't really know..."

Haechan says as he suddenly bursts into tears, feeling frustrated and confused with what he's doing. Haechan's mentality is literally in a different and a very complex state and only Mark can understand him if he can explain himself for once. Again, Haechan is a stubborn prince and he doesn't like explaining himself most of the time because... he doesn't even know how.

Mark felt sad and guilty when he saw Haechan in pain, wishing that he's the one in this situation instead.

"It's alright, Haechan... You can tell me anything-"
"I'm so sorry, Mark. I'm too insensitive with all of my decisions and it's-"
"No, Haechan. Don't you say it's your fault."

Mark says as he proceeds to look at Haechan straight in the eye, not giving up on him. Mark wipes Haechan's tears away with his hands, trying to make Haechan look into his eyes only.

"You matter to me, alright? Don't you know that you're still living in my mind? I always had dreams about you and I being happy... Can we make those dreams come true?"
"... Can I be happy?"

That is when it hit Mark's thoughts. Mark knew that he's still unsure if Haechan will become happy after all of this but he still tried hard to make Haechan believe that he does have a chance to be happy and to feel self-worth once again.

"... Yes... You will be happy sometime, Haechan... Don't give up on me, my home..."

It was Mark's first time to ever call Haechan his "home". Mark didn't want Haechan to see that he's on the verge of crying as he hugs Haechan tightly, burying his head on his shoulder. He cries hard, not wanting to just completely let go of Haechan.

Haechan knew that their love for each other was incomparable to normal people.

"Mark, it's going to be alright... I'll be alright... but please stay... I don't want you to leave me again."