Chapter 17:

"You know, I had so much fun that ballroom night-"
"We already know that, Jaemin."

The three responded in unison as Jaemin pouted in disappointment before sitting beside them. The three of them decided to read all of the books in the library. Mark and Haechan didn't really finish reading all of the books since they had a lot of things to do like the ballroom night and Haechan's medication.

For some reason, Jaemin really loved the ballroom night. It was memorable for him since it's his first ballroom night and he got to dance with a man. Basically, that certain event has a lot of firsts with Jaemin and he most likely doesn't regret being held captive in this kind of place.

He's not even a "prisoner" anymore. They're literally just sitting around and having fun together.

"... How many hours have you been doing this?-"
"Four."
"... Alright, I think we should go out and have a walk in the village! Jeno does that with Mrs. Areum everyday anyways..."

Jaemin suggests as Haechan immediately gave him a glare, looking up from his book for the first time since they started reading.

"... I believe I can't do that-"
"Why not?!"
"Because I have to protect my identity as the cursed prince..."
"... It's just the village, your highness. Nobody will even recognize us in the village. Plus! You can dress casually and not formally for once!"

Jaemin excitedly tries to convince Haechan, only to receive a blank stare from him. Haechan thought about what Jaemin suggested and he thought that it actually made sense. Nobody will ever know that he's the "late prince" if he wore casual clothes.

"... Fine... but if something goes wrong then we're not coming back."
"Yes!"

Jaemin was relieved as they later changed the clothes that they were wearing. Mark and Jaemin shared clothes since Mark was the only one who arrived with his belongings because their journey was a bit rushed. Jeno and Haechan had to wear simpler clothes since Jeno works for royalty and Haechan IS the royalty.

The four of them finally went outside for a walk, getting past the oldest church for the first time except for Jeno.

For the first time in five years, Haechan felt the heat of the sun. Of course he was a bit uncomfortable since the sun was too bright to look at and that it was a bit hot outside but he smiled. It was his first time to ever go outside with actual friends.

"... Oh."
"Hmm?"

Mark asks Haechan, also asking himself what was in Haechan's mind.

"This is what the outside feels like."
"... Do you like 'the outside'?"
"... It's beautiful..."

Haechan smiles as he looks at Mark to give him a smile. Mark definitely knew that 'the outside' isn't just the thing that's beautiful right now. Mark thought that there were two suns outside.

The first one being the actual sun and the second one standing next to him.

~

Eighteen years ago is when it all happened.

"Areum... How are you doing today?"

The King asks Areum who was still working, making fabric for the royal family to wear. Areum knew that the King was a bit clingy towards her even if she tells him that she has a son and that he has a family. Areum was a single mother because her husband passed away in the war.

She had to work for the royal family because she wanted to stabilize her life with her three year old son, Jeno.

"Don't you want a little fun, my dear secret?"
"I don't know, your highness."

Areum didn't want any of it but she couldn't disagree because she's afraid of the King ruining her life. Little did she know that her life was already starting to crush the moment she was accepted for this job. The King knew every fear of his servants so he knew how to push Areum's buttons.

Besides, the King already knew Haechan had different traits since he was born way before his wife knew that their son was born with a curse. The King has that same curse but it doesn't show. Why? He forgot his true self a long time ago before he even got married.

"I will give a new son for you, the one with the royal blood. If he becomes the prince of this nation, you will no longer work for me. Do we have a deal?"

It's not like Areum doesn't value his son made from true love but it's because she doesn't want to work in this place anymore. The night came as Areum already made sure of her thoughts. She knocked at the door of the bathroom where the King was waiting.

The King opens the door, giving her a sinister smile.

"Your highness-"
"Come here, my dear secret."

Nine months later, she gave birth to a son privately. Not even Jeno knew that she gave birth because Jeno was sent to his grandparents house most of the time until his grandparents passed away and that he had to live with his mother in the palace. Areum most likely stayed in the dungeon to hide the fact that she had a son.

She only took care of him for seven days until the baby was taken away by the knights.

"What are you doing?! Where are you taking him?!"
"Somewhere the King assigned."

Areum was depressed that it took her years before she got over it. She was tricked by the King but because of the nice people around the palace, she was motivated to stay. She couldn't say the truth that she was taken advantage of by the King because she's afraid that her head will end up being poked by a stick, displayed outside of the palace.

Because of her depression, she was a bit cold towards Jeno but she still loved him.

Jeno is the only piece of family that she has just to keep her sanity safe and sound.

~

"If we're protecting ourselves, why are we outside?"
"Maybe because we're GOING TO BUY the things that PROTECT US?"

Renjun was annoyed at Chenle because he kept asking him questions. Renjun has never worked with anyone for years and Chenle was the first guy he will work with after years of being on Earth. The two of them were at the village because they were going to purchase extra blades and plants to keep them alive.

Blades for protecting themselves from Jisung and plants for them to eat.

Since Renjun has to recover from the absorption of half of his golden aura, he needed to eat only plants even if he loved meat. Renjun hated being weak like this but he has to try and recover from everything that has happened to him. Most of his abilities were stolen as he can no longer heal others but himself and he has to retrieve those abilities because he needs those to protect Haechan.

He has to protect Haechan because he's the only rightful king needed for the kingdom.

As they were walking outside, Renjun saw the familiar four men walking around in casual clothes. 'What are they doing?!', Renjun panicked in his thoughts. Renjun still thought that every single one of them were important even if he never interacted with anyone but Mark and Jaemin.

No one can ever know that he's an elf... maybe except for these people that he's secretly protecting

He even recognizes Haechan easily because he already memorized his facial traits in different angles. That's how observant Renjun is. He's kind of like a stalker but in a nicer way.

"That's the prince..."

Renjun whispers to Chenle.

"Huh? Where?"

Chenle asks as he looks around. When Renjun turned to look around, Haechan was already gone from his sight.

"Oh, god... He's probably at home. We should keep going."

Renjun tells Chenle as Chenle nodded.