02 | lethal blacks

I hear whispers as I walk through the hallway filled with students

I hear whispers as I walk through the hallway filled with students. I feel the anxiety settle in me, I've never been the social type. Most of them don't notice me but others do. I even catch some of the whispers, they don't help my anxiety.

The comments are mostly related to my appearance and they are trying to judge me by how I look. From my appearance. From what is apparent in the five minutes that they've seen me.

Well that's going to be highly accurate, I think to myself, sarcastically.

I look down as I walk, letting my long hair cover my face. Talk about being judged, no one likes it. I struggle to find the reception. I asked some girls before and they just looked at me blankly, staring up amd down. Not going to ask anyone anymore.

Before I know it, I bump into someone causing their papers to fly everywhere and scatter on the floor.

Not again.

Rubbing the spot on my head where it got hit, I see who I bumped into.

I find a flustered girl kneeling before me, picking the papers and arranging them. I decide to help her, unlike the guy from yesterday. "I'm sorry," I say with a small apologetic smile once all the papers are collected.

"No no, it's okay," she chirps, "Are you new? I haven't seen you around." She waits for an answer, her look isn't judgemental.

"Yeah, today is my first day," I say with a nervous smile, fiddling with my fingers. She's my height, around 5'4. Her pale face is framed by beautiful red hair, all the way down to her waist. She's wearing tan baggy pants with white top.

"I'm Ava, nice to meet you!" she squeals and I feel myself smiling at her excitement. "What's your name? Do you need help?"

"Venus," I answer. She looks at me with a frown. "My name," I clarify. She whispers an 'oh' and smiles warmly.

"Can you show me where the reception is?"

"Sure, let's go."

Ava is nice, she helps me find the reception. She looks really pretty with green eyes, petite body and red hair. She also helps me get the schedule and takes me to my first class. Unfortunately, we don't have the same classes except for calculus and history.

"I'll see you at lunch, okay? Text me," she says.

I mumble an okay, relieved that I wouldn't be alone.

.

My first class is English Literature. I enter the class, my anxiety grows as I see the students seated- all busy in their own worlds. The class is almost filled. The seats are in a pair of two. I see an empty seat at the back of the class. I flop down on the chair and notice a couple of eyes turning my way.

And slowly, almost all eyes are on me.

Even the couple who were making out have stopped and are now looking at me.