Chapter Seven: OLIVIA

The next day after school, Charles and Olivia walked to the field house together for Olivia's tryout. They changed in the locker rooms, Olivia wore a black pair of shorts and a t-shirt while Charles changed into his uniform. She stood at the side of the field shaking out her hands, her heart leaped out of her chest. She HAS to make the team. It's been her dream since she was little to play professionally and this was the closest she could get. Charles walked up behind her and took her hand. Which didn't help the situation. Shed only known him for a couple days and already gets butterflies when he's around. He squeezed it and then let go.

"You'll be fine. Here let me introduce you to some of my friends on the team." He led her over to the middle of the fields where 2 guys and a girl were passing in a triangle shape. They stopped when they saw him.

"Olivia, this is Melanie, Katherine and Egor, they're seniors on the team. You guys, Olivia here is going to be trying out. She's quite brilliant at football if you ask me."

Olivia blushed, his accent tacked an 'r' onto the end of her name so each time he said it it sounded like 'Oliviar'.

They mumbled and the girl on the left, Katherine took a step forward, crossing her arms. "So where did you used to go to school?"

"Uh- I actually was homeschooled by my dad." Her hands shook more.

"So, have you ever played before? or is this your first time?" She snickered.

"Yeah I've played."

"Where? What team?"

"Well uh I've never played on an official team." She glanced at Charles who gave her an encouraging nod. "But-I-uh used to play pick up soccer where I used to live."

They sneered and Charles led her around to a few more groups of people who asked similar questions and in return she became more confident in her answers.

The coach finally walked over and called everyone to come to her. She explained a few simple drills they would be doing and turned to Charles.

"I'll need you to run the drills today. I have to do evaluations for everyone and monitor your friends tryout. Everyone if you have questions ask Charles." She walked to the edge of the field and everyone turned to Charles, who looked a little uncomfortable but still glowed with confidence.

"Okay. Reagan please go get cones. I need 8 people to switch out the field hockey goals with soccer goals and everyone else grab balls and line up against the wall." He talked smoothly, like he'd done it a million times before.

The group dispersed. Olivia grabbed her ball from her bag and joined the other kids who were passing against the wall. She quickly realized that the other kids all had the same balls and uniforms when she had none. Her ball her dad had sewed for her when she was seven and joining the sports group in town. It was rough brown leather with grass stains from playing constantly. She took a deep breath and found a surge of confidence. You want this. She told herself.

Although Olivia could feel the coaches eyes on her, she imagined herself back home, not her Long Island home, but back on Iloire with her old friends. She kicked with aim. Kicking first with her left and receiving with her right and vice versa. As others missed their balls and went off to chase them Olivia barely moved from her spot, each shot bouncing at a perfect angle with the perfect amount to power to be received again. Charles stood behind them all, yelling out tips and encouragement to his teammates. But Olivia didn't miss a beat.

Charles called them over where he had set up cones stretching down the field. About 10 in total alternating on each side. He split them up into 2 groups based on their positions and placed Olivia with the offenders, which she was thankful for. The offenders would line up at one side, while the defenders stood a few feet from each cone. Then the offenders would make their way down the field, approaching each cone and dodging while the defenders attempted to steal the ball. The defenders couldn't leave the space within 4 feet of their cone. If they reached the end, they could shoot on the goalie and run back to the start. They got into positions. Olivia stayed at the back of the line with her ball watching the drill intently trying to figure out each defenders weakness, another thrilling sense she inherited from her mother. The coach stood at the end of the field waiting to report to players their time if they made it to the end.