Chapter Thirteen: CHARLES

"Okay, today we are going to talk about greek mythology." Charles' cultural studies teacher started the class. After Mayan culture last unit, they had moved on to the Greek empire. Over the past few weeks, Charles and his classmates had learned about the architecture(which Annabeth seemed particularly interested in), history(like wars, democracy, etc.) and the technology that the Greeks used.

Charles had never really thought much about greek mythology. Of course he knew who Zeus and a few other gods was but other then that he barely had any knowledge on the subject. He was interested to learn, as he was with all history. Cultural studies was one of his favorite subjects.

Charles sat at a table with Percy, Annabeth and Leo. They watched the teacher with amusement.

"The greeks made up myths and gods to worship that each covered a different lesson or aspect of life." The teacher Mrs. Kiley, a young red headed woman, clicked a button on her remote and an image showed on the SMARTboard. 12 images of old, marble statues, similar to the ones that Charles had seen at the MET many times before, were lined up and numbered 1-12. "The gods were thought to be powerful but fairly similar to normal humans. They fell in love and got married, made mistakes and held grudges. There are thousands of gods and other deities but 12 main gods, for the main aspects of life were worshipped the most. Think of gods as aspects of life but personified. Like if the sea were to be a person, what would he or she look like?" Charles saw Percy smirk out of the corner of his eye. "Would they be calm and gentle like the low tide and cute sea creatures we see in aquariums? Or unpredictable and violent, like the raging waves and storms that capsize ships and kill people?"

Mrs. Kiley clicked her remote again and the screen changed. Pictures, graphics and more statue images filled the screen all depicting a certain figure that Charles recognized as Zeus, lord of the sky.

"Can anyone tell me who this is?"

A girl in the fronts hand shot up. "Zeus."

"Very good. Zeus was the king of the gods, lord of the sky. He was thought to be the most powerful after all he had been the one to kill his father, Kronos back during the Titan age. He was married to Hera, the goddess of marriage, queen of Olympus."

"Bitch." Annabeth muttered, staring straight ahead.

The class continued to review all of the gods, though every once and a while Annabeth, Percy and Leo would mutter things. Like for ares, Charles swore he heard Percy say "Asshole." And for Dionysus, Leo clearly said "Lazy dick." and Percy and Annabeth both snorted at the comment.

"Long before the gods though, Chaos, the void, bore Gaea and Ouranos among others, the sky and earth. They bore the giants and the titans and a few other breeds. Then, Gaea encouraged Kronos, titan and lord of time, to cut Ouranos, his father into pieces with a sickle that she had forged. He inlisted some of his brothers, Hyperion, Iapetus, Krios and Koios to help Kronos detain Ouranos while he chopped him up and cast him into the depths of Tartarus, the endless pit." Annabeth and Percy both paled. "Happy bunch, the titans, huh?" The class laughed but Percy and Annabeth shook their heads, "Bob" Percy whispered.

'Most of the original gods were children of Kronos and rhea, the mother of the gods. Some like Aphrodite where born in less traditional ways and others like Ares were children of the eldest gods that Rhea bore." Mrs. Kiley flipped the slide again and a complicated family tree showed. "Kronos, terrified of his children overthrowing him, ate his children, starting with Hestia, the oldest. When Rhea gave birth to Zeus, her sixth and final child, she gave Kronos a rock to swallow and hid him away in a cave. When he was old enough, he slipped something into Kronos' drink to make him throw up his, very much alive siblings."