Chapter Sixteen: PIPER

"Hello? Leo?" Piper knocked on the rock of the entrance to bunker nine.

A moment later, the wall of rock parted revealing the entrance to bunker nine and a very dirty Leo Valdez.

"Hey beauty queen! I'm almost done with the watches. I'll need to get the gang in here though. Including Charles. Would you grab em for me?" He was sitting at a workbench hunched over a small metal object that Piper couldn't make out.

"Sure. I'll be back in a second." She started to turn out the door but faltered and turned back around. "Hey Leo?"

"Yeah?" He was too focused in his work to look up.

"Do you ever feel like your friendship with Jason is built on lies. Because all that time at the wilderness school, he wasn't really there?"

He looked up. "No. We're friends now and that's what matters. Sure, we have some memories that didn't happen, but we have more that did. I just think of those fake memories as a different person, real Jason is much scarier and much more intimidating." He chuckled.

Piper pondered that for a moment and then dashed into the woods to retrieve her friends.

When she approached Percy's cabin, where some other campers suspected he may be, she knocked on the door. "Percy?"

She heard some muffled sounds coming from inside but no response. "Percy?" She tried again, louder this time.

The sounds stopped. A moment later Percy appeared in the doorway, shirtless. "Yes, Piper?"

"Leo needs everyone in bunker nine. I still haven't grabbed the others, but if you could go find Annabeth while I get them that would be great."

To Pipers surprise, Percy turned around towards the cabin but didn't walk in. Instead he yelled as if talking to someone. "Hey 'Beth? We gotta go, Leo needs us."

A second later, Annabeth appeared in the doorway next to Percy, she was pulling on her sweater and reaching under it to readjust her bra. When she saw Piper she froze and her cheeks turned bright red. Percy's did too. Piper raised her eyebrows.

"Okay, I'm, uh, just gonna go. See you at bunker nine in twenty." As Piper walked away from the cabin she heard quiet giggles and whispers. And out of the corner of Pipers eyes, she spotted Percy scoop up Annabeth and carry her back into the cabin, grinning.

Piper set off in the direction of Jasons cabin. When she approached the door, her phone rang. It was her dad, again. She looked up at Jasons cabin remembering what he had said and winced as she answered it. "Hey, Dad."

The voice on the other end of the phone made her heart hurt, she felt home sick. "Pipes! Where have you been! I've been trying to reach you all week!"

"Oh just uh, busy with schoolwork, I must've not gotten your calls." She felt nauseous.

"Well, how have your classes been going?"

"Alright, I, um, I passed that humanities test I told you about. I got a 95." This part was true.

She could picture her dad grinning on the other end with pride. "That's my girl. Hey, listen Pipes, I was thinking of flying out to you for Christmas break! I haven't really ever seen New York and this California weather is getting boring. What do you think?"

She was happy that he was thinking of coming but quickly that was filled with dread. More time with him in person meant more elaborate lies. "Are you uh sure? It's gonna be pretty cold out here."

"Nonsense. I love the cold!"

"But you wont have a place to stay."

He was silent on the other end. "Pipes, do you not want me to come? I don't have to if you don't want me there."