Back to Basics

"If someone comes into your life and has a positive impact on you, be thankful that your paths crossed. And even if they can't stay for some reason, be thankful that somehow they brought joy into your life, even if it was just for a short while. Life is change. People come and go, some stay, some don't and that's okay. Remember the good times and smile that it happened." – Brigitte

Chapter 6

An alarm clock could be heard from one of the corners in the room. Syaoran slowly opened his eyes and looked at the time. It read 4:30 am which only meant it was time for him to get up. He never had problems waking up at this time as long as it was for training. His body automatically moved towards the bathroom. He turned the water on and let the water running. Instead of quickly getting in, he brushed his teeth and waited till the water warm up. He took his normal quick shower and dried himself with the towel before putting it around his waist and walking out of the bathroom to get dressed.

It was still dark outside. He dressed himself with a blue sleeveless tank and black knee length shorts. Last but not least he tied up his running shoes before grabbing his phone and earphones as he walked out of his room and headed out of his house for a jog. Since he would be taking the weekend off, he decided to push extra hard these last couple of days to make up for lost time thanks to Meiling's great idea. Although after hearing that Sakura had agreed to accompany them he couldn't feel more appreciative towards his cousin.

Since the town wasn't that far away from his parent's house, he decided to jog to the park and then back. That would be a good hour and a half run before hitting the weights after. He enjoyed the peacefulness of jogging into town while listening to his music blasting through his headphones. He thought about the game they had just had against Italy. Although most of his teammates were in great shape and they had won the match, he still felt they still needed to improve their game if they wanted to win the Cup. He started going over the game in his head while entering the park.

He stepped to one of the several trails the park had to walk through it. Some of the trails led to the inside of the park, kind of like a maze, while others just went around the park. He usually ran the outside before running the inside. Spending most of his childhood in China he still remembered his way around the inside of the park. During the day, the park was regularly very busy. People could be seen walking, jogging, or even running their bicycles around but since it was so early he didn't see many people on it. Probably the only ones at this time in the park were early risers like himself that were conscious of their health and had made it a habit of coming early in the morning to start the day in a healthy way.

He turned around in one of the curves and spotted a very familiar person jogging along these early risers. He increased his speed a little but decided to stay behind her and enjoy the view. Her pace hadn't changed much from back in the days. As she took another curve, he noticed how her thoughtful face hadn't changed from being completely focused on what she was doing. Couple of minutes later, she reached the middle of the park and stopped. She kept walking slowly before finally stopping in front of the lake and start stretching. Syaoran took this chance to finally approach her.

"You still jog this early in the morning?" he casually asked.

She jumped after hearing his voice and turned to confirm it. Syaoran was standing arrogantly behind her in his damped tank. She didn't miss the drops of sweat falling from his wet hair all the way to his face which made her heart jump even more than it was when she was running. There was no way she could deny she still felt something for him. Suddenly she felt grateful for being out of breath after running. She could easily hide her flushed face under the pretence of been doing exercise. She fought the temptation of running her hands through his face and instead casually asked, "Since when have you been there?"