8

** this is a really short "filler" chapter, just fyi :)

It turns out my mother had committed suicide that same night, swallowing a bunch of pills. I felt like what was left of my heart had shattered into a million pieces. Both my parents were dead, and they were never great parents, but they were still my family. More importantly, Willow didn't have anybody anymore. Todd was across the country and wanted nothing to do with his kid. This is why Willow was currently fast asleep in my arms in the jet as we headed back to Quantico. I gently stroked her hair as she slept, her head resting on my chest.

"What are you going to do?" Spencer asked, sitting across from me. He looked just as worn-out as me, his hair sticking up and his clothes slightly rumpled.

"I'm going to get full custody," I replied confidently. That surprised myself, I hadn't actually been sure until the words just fell out of my mouth. But it was the right thing to do.

"Addie, you're only twenty-five, that's a lot of responsibility."

"I know I work a lot, but I have enough money to hire a nanny who can stay with her. I'll look into enrolling her into kindergarten, too. It'll be hard, but she doesn't have anyone else. I'm not letting my little sister go into foster care."

"I'm not trying to talk you out of it, by any means. I just want to know that you'll be okay with all of this," he says, a touch of worry in his voice.

"Don't worry about me, Spence, I always figure things out."

"I can help, you know. Take care of Willow, I mean," he blushes.

"You would do that?" I ask, eyes widening.

"Of course. I would do anything for you, Addie." Spencer got up and moved to the seat next to me, taking my hand in his. I leaned my head on his shoulder and closed my eyes, sleepiness finally hitting me. I started to drift off, my vision growing darker.

"I love you," I heard from beside me. But it was so quiet, I'm not sure if I actually heard him say it or if I had simply dreamed it.