N I N E

Once we get to the headquarters I notice immediately how many of the males scoff purely at my appearance

Once we get to the headquarters I notice immediately how many of the males scoff purely at my appearance. "Colonel this is my sister Rosalie." Dean introduces me to the Colonel, who looks me up and down and doesn't even bother hide his distaste. "You're sure she's fit to join us?" He asks my brother who nods without any hesitation, "yes sir, I believe she's as good as me if not better." Ok now I'm sure he was just being a bit extra to prove his point.

The colonel glances at me once more as he thinks it over, "Well you are one of our best so alright. Take her to Carter and tell her to get her ready." Dean nods says a thank you and then leads me away. "He hates me." I say turning to Dean who shakes his head, "no...maybe a little, but he'll warm up." He assures me which doesn't make me feel any better.

"Hey Carter." My brother yells catching the attention of what seems to be the only other woman in sight, "Peggy, this is my sister Rosalie our newest recruit." He says sending her a bright smile, she looks at me and grins making me feel so much better. "Hi there, I'm Peggy like your brother just said, glad to finally have another woman here with me." She says making me feel less nervous as well, "hey, nice to meet you."

"Phillips said to get her ready." Dean interjects making Peggy nod, "alright, I'll show you around and then we can get you your uniform." I nod and follow after her. "See you later." Dean says before running off to do whatever he needed to.

She showed me around everywhere taking me down to the lab last, "this is where Howard invents weapons amongst other things, your brother told me that you may want to spend your time helping down here." I shrug, "I don't mind helping anywhere but I guess this would be my first choice." She nods showing me various weapons, as a group of men go by, they stop as they look at me, "look at her." One whispers, "she's our newest recruit." Another snickers, "she doesn't look like she can even hold a gun never mind shoot one."

"Did you have something to say to me?" I call out to the group of men who halt at my words, "no sweetheart." One winks, "you sure, it seemed like you did." I say not backing down, "maybe you got your pretty little head confused." Narrowing my eyes at the group I pick up a simple gun from the table beside me. "I don't think I did." I say maintaining eye contact as I lift the gun up to where I remember the target to be, I fire it three times before breaking the eye contact to look and see I had shot all three straight at the bullseye.

"How's that for not even being able to hold a gun?" I ask with a sweet smile as I put the gun down, the men look at me for a second in shock, unable to say anything, "not got a lot to say now?" I ask with a smirk as I spot Peggy trying to hide her own smile. They don't say anything instead the hurry off as someone whistles from behind. "Gee Rosie I knew you were fierce but I have to admit that scared me for a moment then." I turn around with a smile, "get out of here Howard." I laugh as he wraps his arms around me, "remind me to never get on your bad side." He jokes making me roll my eyes, "you're not far from it." I say making him clutch his chest in mock hurt.

"You wound me Rosie truly you do, want to kiss it better?" I laugh at his ridiculousness, "as if Howard." He nods as if remembering something. "Ah right the boyfriend." I shake my head and hold my hand up with a smile, "fiancé actually." His eyes widen, "holy cow congrats." He says pulling me into another hug, "but just so you know this is what you're missing out on." He says gesturing to himself. "Not much apparently." I shrug laughing at the face he makes.

"So you're more than just a pretty face and a pretty voice." I shrug, "according to my brother." He nods, "and you're gonna be helping the training with Carter?" He asks nodding to Peggy who I'd forgotten was even there, "I'm gonna be helping you here." He smiles, "great I'd love to have you around more." He winks, "Howard." I roll my eyes, "alright alright but you're the one who's obsessed with me it's why you wanna spend so much time with me." He says, "you know what helping Peggy sounds amazing right about now." I tell him, "wait I was kidding I was kidding. Please stay in the lab with me I need a woman around." I roll my eyes with a small smile, "oh how the tables have turned."

• • •

"You and Howard seem close." Peggy notes as she takes me to where I'd be sleeping, "I guess so, we met a while ago he came to one of my shows and we hit it off." Her eyebrows raise, "I read about your supposed relationship in the paper." I tune to her, "did everybody read this damn paper?" She smiles and shrugs, "no but he's just a friend I'm actually engaged." I tell her and she nods, "congratulations." I notice she seems a bit sad, "are you alright?" I ask and she nods, "yes, it's just I had to leave my fiancé, he didn't approve of me taking this job." I nod and send her a sympathetic smile, "if he was threatened by your success then he was not worthy of you." I tell her genuinely making her grin. "My brother said something similar." She smiles.

"Ah brothers, they can be irritating but they do know what they're saying." I hum, "sometimes." She adds making me laugh, "sometimes." I nod. "And your fiancé he approves of what you're doing." I shrug, "He left to fight before I even knew about it but my Bucky's always supportive of me, so he shouldn't mind."

"Looks like you found a keeper." I smile over to her reassuringly, "you will too."