THIRTY EIGHT

We're changing the POV up here but just for a second.

"Hey, Cap!" Bucky hears Sam call for Steve as he begins to stir, he tries to move only to find that his metal arm is stuck in a vice. Fear bubbled up inside of him, what had he done now?

Steve goes over to join Sam by Bucky who's still sat with his arm stuck. They stare at him. "Steve." Bucky finally speaks his voice hopeful, "Which Bucky am I talking to?" Steve questions, afraid he desperately wanted this to be his Bucky, his brother. "Your mom's name was Sarah...You used to wear newspapers in your shoes." Steve smiles thank god this was his Bucky. "Can't read that in a museum."

"Just like that, we're suppose to be cool?" Sam asks not trusting the former assassin sat in front of them one bit, "What did I do?" Bucky asks fearfully he really hoped that he hadn't hurt anyone, he never wanted to hurt anyone, not again. "Enough." Steve answers in a tight tone. Bucky's eyes wander to behind him where he was stood earlier and then he sees exactly what he had done.

Laying there on the ground was Rosalie she was unconscious, hell she looked dead. Her skin scarily pale with a bright hand shaped bruise wrapped around her neck. He also took note of her arm, he could see the bone poking at the flesh in a grotesque way. His heart drops to his stomach as he sees the state he'd left the love of his life in and he drops his head in shame trying to keep the tears away, he couldn't look at her anymore not like that, it told him what he was deadly afraid of. He was a monster and she deserved better than him.

"Oh, God, I knew this would happen. Everything HYDRA put inside me is still there. All he had to do was say the goddamn words." He says a mixture of frustrated and heartbroken, he never wanted this, especially not for Rosalie. "She'll be ok." Steve tells his best friend in a forced tone, he didn't know if she actually would be he hoped she would. He needed her to be ok, they both did.

"Who was he?" Steve then asks, "I don't know." Bucky says his head low, "People are dead. The bombing, the setup. The doctor did all that just to get 10 minutes with you. I need you to do better than 'I don't know.'" Bucky looks up at Steve, "He wanted to know about Siberia. Where I was kept. He wanted to know exactly where."

"Why would he need to know that?" Steve asks sharing a confused glance with Sam. "Because I'm not the only Winter Soldier."

• • •

"This would have been a lot easier a week ago." I think I hear Sam say as I slowly begin to wake. My eyes felt like they were glued shut and I couldn't even move, everything hurt so badly. "If we call Tony . . ." I force my eyes open only for them to sting and shut instantly. "No, he won't believe us." What was going on? "Even if he did . . ."

"Who knows if the Accords would let him help." I force my eyes open again and see I'm somewhere dingy. "We're on our own." Steve says as I move my head with a lot of difficulty to try and see where we were and what was happening. "Maybe not. I know a guy." Right after Sam speaks I let out a groan as my head throbs like it was about to burst.

Instantaneously Steve runs over and crouches down beside me, "Rosie? Rosie are you ok?" He asks me worry drowning his words. He helps me up and I smile at him through the tears that I can't stop. "I'm fine, how is he?" I ask, I notice how his eyes travel across the room and I see what they land on. Bucky was sat there his head down eyes avoiding me. I fall back into Steve a mixture of exhaustion and relief.

"I thought you might need this." Sam smiles handing me some water, "thanks Sam." I say lifting the water to my lips and letting it heal me. My head and arm were healed making me feel so much better the only thing remaining was the bruise on my neck. Steve and Sam then leave me alone with Bucky.

"Hey." I say crouching down in front of him, he doesn't look up instead he screws his eyes shut. "Bucky come on, talk to me." I plead, "I hurt you." I sigh, "I'm fine." I assure him, "I hurt a lot of people." I put my hand on his cheek, "it wasn't you." I try to tell him, "seeing you laying like that, like you were dead, because of me-"

"It wasn't because of you, stop it. I love you Bucky and I need you to understand that what you do as the winter soldier it isn't you, and I don't hold you responsible for that and you shouldn't either." I explain. His eyes meet mine and the pain screaming in them makes my eyes water, I just wanted him to be happy. "I'm not safe, all it takes are those words and then I have no control, you shouldn't waste your time on me."

"I don't care about that, I know the risk and this is not a waste of of time, I love you so much and you don't give up on someone you love. We're gonna get through this, together." I tell him linking our fingers together, he gives me a sad smile as he looks like he's struggling on what to say. "I love you."

• • •

"Can you move your seat up?" Bucky asks Sam as the two of us were squished behind him in the getaway car as we wait for Steve. "No." Sam simply replies making Bucky sigh. "Come on bird boy." I say making him scoff, "for that double no." I can't help but laugh. "Ok I'm sorry, but please Sammy?" He rolls his eyes as he glances back at me before he sighs and moves it up. We then turn our attention to Steve and Sharon who had somehow managed to get the boys their gear back. They talk a bit more before Steve leans down and gives her an awkward hug.

"Took your time." I hum as he gets back into the small car, he looks at me and shakes his head with a small smile.