Chapter 6

Trixie POV-

December (Freshman year)

My stomach churns, I hate to make this call. I wish I didn't have to at all, but I know if I don't I'll regret it later. I know her family will appreciate it, to know more about what happened but it also hurts to be the one to tell them. Especially because I don't even know if Katya likes me anymore. She doesn't act like it. From what I know she hates me, maybe she told her family and now they hate me too. The thought makes me want to puke. I'd turn back if the phone wasn't already ringing.

"Hi?" A man says from the other end of the line.

"Hi, it's Trixie." I say. "Is this Mr. Zamolodochikova?"

"Yeah, you want to talk to Pat?"

"Uh yeah." I reply. "Sure."

The line goes silent for a moment and all I can hear is my heart beating in my ears. "Hi Trixie." A woman, Pat says.

"Yeah hey."

"How are you holding up? Since she's been admitted and everything?"

I pause, trying to think of an acceptable answer. "I'm okay. I wanted to call just to make sure you know everything."

"Well we just weren't sure how she got admitted. They couldn't tell us, patient confidentiality. And we aren't allowed to talk to her." She says. "Have you talked to her?"

"No, I haven't talked to her since she got released from the hospital."

"Why'd you take her in the first place?" Pat asks. I can hear the pain in her voice. I don't know what it'd be like to have your daughter relapsing. All I know is none of us were prepared, in fact before we found out, things felt better than they had in a long time. It's weird how it can change over night. "Trixie?"

"Oh. Sorry." I mutter, being pulled from my thoughts. "She woke up in the middle of the night. Well I don't actually know if she slept at all. I just thought she was really sick and so I took her to the emergency room even though she was begging not to go. And then they did a drug test and I mean."

"yeah." She says. "I know."

"They let her go but then a few days later she checked herself into rehab."

"She did?"

"Yeah." I reply. "I got a random text from her about it and when I called the place in the morning all they could tell me was that she was there and safe."

"Good." Her mom says. "So she wants to get clean."

"Yeah." Is all I can manage. "I don't know about our relationship right now, with everything. It seems like she hates me."

Her mom sighs. "She doesn't Trixie. I know she's acting out and she'll tell you she doesn't care about you. I can't tell you what your reaction should be, I can just tell you she doesn't hate you."

"I know."

"You don't have to know what your relationship with her is right now. She's in rehab, you're in college. That's for later. All of us are here for you though. And if you hear from her please let us know."

"I will." I promise. "Can you tell me if you hear from her?"

"I can try." She replies. "Of course."

"Ok."

"Bye Trix." She says, her voice quiet. "We miss you."

"I miss you all too. Bye."