Chapter 9 (pt 2)

Katya POV-

The morning after Christmas I wish I could pause forever. It's snowed more, the window letting in white light even through the curtains in the bedroom. Trixie's arms are thrown around me, her head on my shoulder. I know it's late in the morning because I can hear family members moving up and down the hallway and making noise in the kitchen. I'm glad they don't come to wake us, I don't want to get up for a while.

I can hear a bird outside, chirping just by the window. I try and breathe it all in, hoping that this feelings won't leave for a long time. Trixie shifts and I loosely braid her hair, watching it fall back to waves when I let it go. She's awake now, I can tell, but she doesn't say anything, she never does in the morning. She opens her eyes but closes them after a few seconds. "Don't want to get up?" I ask, kissing her forehead.

"No." She mumbles, laying an arm across my chest.

My phone dings next to me and I grab it to see a text from my mom. "Are you up?"

I debate if I should respond, not wanting to leave this room yet. I turn off the ringer and lay it down on the bed, face up just in case.

Quite a few more minutes pass and I can feel my eyes getting heavy again as I float in and out of reality. My fingers still tangled in Trixie's hair.

"Katya?" I hear outside the door. It barely wakes me up, I turn my eyes to the doorway.

"Oh." I say, mostly out of shock when I focus. It's not my mom standing there like I expected, it's my grandma. It's unfortunate that they have the same voice.

"I can go, your mom just told me to come get you up, it's almost noon." She says, eying the way Trixie is laying on me.

I want to somehow separate us but it's too late and it would only look more suspicious. "Yeah." I say. "Yeah, we'll be out in a few minutes."

She turns to go, closing the door slowly behind her.

Trixie looks at me. "Uh. What was that."

"I don't really know?" I reply. "I'm not sure if she knows now or not."

"Know's what?"

"Knows that this is a thing." I say, waving a finger over us.

"Shit."

I nod.

Trixie sits up in bed next to me. "Even if she does she didn't sound like she cares?"

"Yeah maybe. But, it's just that like- I don't think they're accepting of things like this. They're Russian and Catholic, I just don't think it's even in their vocabulary."

She tilts her head. "So if they ask you could always deny it."

"I don't want to." I tell her, sounding a little more frustrated than I meant. "Someday they might know anyways. And I don't want to lie, or say it's not... I don't know. I don't want to say it's something other than what it is."

"Okay." She says. "Don't freak out about it. You don't even know if she's suspecting anything. And unless she asks it's not a big deal."

"Yeah. No. Yeah you're right. You're right." I mutter. Last day here, that's all I have to make it through without her asking. "It doesn't even matter. And even if she doesn't like it, my mom would probably talk to her and it would be fine."

"Exactly." Trixie assures me. "Come on, get up before she shows up again."

I agree and stand up, stretching before grabbing clothes from the suitcase in the corner.