The Witching Hour

It was the day before New Year's, a fresh start to a new year. It was currently 11:55 at night, five minutes away from the annual New Year's countdown on TV. Lauren and her family were in the living room. Her mom was reading magazines, her younger brother Craig was playing with his Lego's, her dad was checking his e-mails online, and Lauren was reading a horror book. It had a bunch of scary stories in it, and she was reading about the witching hour, and if you were awake at 1:00 on New Year's Day, shadows will come to you and devour your soul and you would become one of them, going around during the witching hour eating all nighters' souls. She didn't believe in that stuff, it was just a bunch of baloney. 

Four minutes later, Lauren's mom announced, "Get ready everybody! The ball is going to drop!"

Everyone rushed onto the couch and watched the glass ball drop.

"10...9...8...7...6...5...4...3...2...1...HAPPY NEW YEAR!" her whole family screamed.

"Yay! It's 2011!" Craig squealed.

"Oh great, another year of torture for me..." mumbled Lauren.

"Cheer up Lauren, and stop reading all those scary novels. They'll make you all frightened at night." her mom said.

"Mom, I'm 11, do you really expect me to think that SHADOWS will appear in my room and eat me?" Lauren shot back.

"Okay kids. Time for bed now." her mother interrupted.

Lauren walked up to her room. She couldn't help but think, "What if that story is true? Will shadows really come devour me?"

She began to panic a bit. Normally the stories in that book were sounded really fake, but not this particular one. She stayed up about an hour or so thinking about this topic.

She started freaking out, and tried  to go to sleep. She was so scared now, that her eyes wouldn't close and she wasn't catching Z's like she usually would. She tiptoed to her parents' room and woke her mom up.

"Hey mom, can I sleep with you guys? You were right, that story did creep me out." Lauren said in a small voice.

"Sure sweetie, just squeeze in between me and your daddy." her mom said groggily.

She crept in the middle and slept soundly.

Lauren had an urge to go to the bathroom, so she woke up and walked to the bathroom. She noticed it was still dark.  When she jumped off her parents' bed, she didn't see them next to her. "Hmm...wonder where they are." she said. As she continued walking, she tripped over something in the bathroom. Her eyes widened. There, sprawled on the floor covered in fresh blood, were her parents' bodies.

"Mom! Dad! Are you guys okay? Why are you on the floor?" Lauren gasped.

She shook their bodies back and forth, and her dad's body rolled over. She saw something that she thought she would never see. There was a hole in his chest. A hole where his heart was supposed to be. On the walls in blood said, "YOU'RE NEXT."

She screamed and rushed to Craig's room to tell him. The walls on his room said the same thing as the bathroom wall, "YOU'RE NEXT." Poor little Craig's dead body was on the floor, with an empty hole in his chest.

From out of nowhere, Lauren heard faint cackles. "Hehehehe, you're next, nonbeliever!" a voice said.

She went to grab her book. She looked for a way to stop this from happening to her. She spotted a line that she hadn't read yet.

"Foolish reader, this is a true story. Don't think it's some silly old legend." 

Lauren gasped. She then prepared herself for the last few minutes of her life.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to Pitakarot (who is so freaking awesome for the record and is so cool hururhur =w=) for editing and thinking with me about the idea/details.  Visit her page to read her stories. =w=

You know...I should've written this about 2 weeks ago...oh well :P

Enjoy!

2 votes + 2 comments please :(

Even if you don't vote or comment, I'll try to write anyways. It's fun :]

Wow. I'm really scared to click "Save & Publish" right now >.<

--aznsparkly