Chapter 11

A/N: sorry for the kinda late update, i just feel really shitty and needed to chill for a bit even tho i still wanna commit self-delete

TW: Flashbacks, negative self-talk, almost a fight? idk?

I sat up from the bench I'd fallen asleep on with a pained hiss. It was still dark out so it was likely that it was early in the morning.

I really don't want to go to school today... If I even see Janus right now I don't know what I'll do...

Flashes of what had happened the night before suddenly rushed into my head and I felt my breath hitch.

No, don't freak out again. You can't. You're not allowed to. You've been through worse and you can get over it. Just stop. Breathe.

I hugged my arms tightly to my sides as I copied the breathing technique Roman had showed me on my first day.

Breathe in for 4 seconds, hold for 7, out for 8..

After repeating the pattern for a bit I had managed to calm down my heavy breathing and my rapid heartbeat. I stared down at the ground, still hugging my arms protectively infront of myself.

I'm such a fucking mess. I should just die.

I sat there in the silence of the empty park for a few minutes before reaching over into my backpack and grabbing my phone. The time read 5:37am, so I had enough time to find the park restroom and change my clothes. I stuffed my phone back into my backpack and limped over to the place where I thought I'd seen the restroom. As I made my way down the trail I couldn't help but feel like I was being watched. Every so often I'd turn my head to look around but I could never see anyone, so I forced myself to think that I was just being paranoid.

I went into the restroom and changed into the outfit I had shoved into my backpack before I'd left home. I'd already been wearing my jeans so I just slipped on a tight black turtleneck and made sure to check if I was covered up in the mirror. Satisfied, I walked back out of the restroom while looking down at my phone, only to run right into a wall.

I fell to the ground with a groan and looked up at the wall, only to see that it definitely wasn't a wall. My eyes widened as I recognized the faces of the guys that had ganged up on me in the park before.

Shit.

"Well hello again, shorty. We meet again." Said the one that I remembered was named Jae.

Nonononono, this is bad..

"And would you look at that," said the one named Bruno with a smirk, "your little buddies ain't here to help you this time. Hey Maddox, whaddya say we fuck him up?"

I need to get out of here. Now.

Maddox, the one I had bumped into, replied, "Well of course. I need payback for that bitch of a teenager stabbing me in the fucking arm."

I need to run. I need to run. I need to run.

Just as I was looking around for an opening, Maddox forced me to my feet by grabbing the front of my shirt in his fist. Just as he raised his fist to lay a hit straight to my face I panicked and landed a kick directly to his crotch.

"FUCK!" He released me as he fell to his knees in pain. "GET THAT BITCH!" He screamed as I ran as fast as I could, my adrenaline allowing me to push through my pain. I could hear Jae and Bruno running after me and yelling as I sprinted down the dark park trail that was lit only by the tall street lamps. I knew my backpack was weighing me down but I just kept running, the rush of adrenaline still strong. As I made a turn I veered off the path and ran into the trees. I felt branches cutting into my face and tearing my jeans but I didn't care, I just needed to get out of there.

I eventually made it to the edge of the trees and to a different part of the trail and fell to the ground, heaving in as much air as I could manage. I fell forwards onto my hands and knees, coughing from overexerting my body. I knew I was shaking but I just felt so numb that the feeling was so distant. My vision was swimming but I fought the urge to pass out and sat down against a tree, putting my backpack on the ground next to me.

Fuck this. Fuck my life. Why me? If there's a such thing as reincarnation, did I do something fucked up in my past life? Do I just deserve this shit?

After calming down my pounding heart and slowing my breathing, the numbness began to fade away and pain tore through my body all at once. I gasped in pain and hugged myself as I fell to my side on the ground. My vision grew hazy as I laid on the ground, and I tried to fight the urge to pass out once again. This time, though, I couldn't help it and my eyes rolled back as I passed out infront of the tree on the edge of the trail.