Chapter 3

Hiding behind a cluster of thick bushes, I cry my heart out. The tears wouldn't stop. It's been over two months since I moved to France but the nightmares continue haunting me. I'm far away from where it happened. Far away from everyone dear to me. So why? Why do I still feel so hopeless? A sob escaped my lips.

The school was lively as ever with the upcoming festival, yet here I was miserable and crying in my own world. The school holds a festival, a month before the year-end exams with various events to be enjoyed by the students and the general public. Every girl and boy in school was busy with preparations. Even lazy bone Adrien seems to be in a tight spot with kids running up and down asking him for his assistance. Ninnon would be looking for me right about now. I'm sure of it. But no way in hell am I going to let anyone see me in this broken downstate.

I hear the swaying of leaves behind me, but ignore it knowing it's only due to the breeze. Or so I thought.

"Are you crying?" A deep voice asks me from above. Shocked I lift my head and find Ethan Beckham looking down at me, curiosity burning in his eyes. Scrambling to my feet, I turn the opposite direction wiping away the tears in a hurry.

Shit shit shit! This wasn't supposed to happen.

Damn it.

"So you do have feelings." He continues. This was the very first time we've spoken since I transferred. Unlike the other kids with their sloppy way of talking in English, Ethan was speaking very fluently. He did not have that typical French accent where sentences sound monotonous and more often than not the pronunciation of some words ends up being warped. He almost sounded like a true American, and within me, I somehow felt a deep sense of relief. I almost felt homesick. What's with me?

Once I made sure my face was all dried up, I turn around to face him. Crossing my arms I stare at him with an unreadable expression. He was a good 5'9 at least while I was only 5'4. I had to strain my neck to get a proper glimpse of his well-featured face.

"What are you doing here?" I demand.

Since when did the bush belong to me?

"I'm hiding."

"Let me guess. Vivienne?" I state as a matter of fact. He nods.

"And her crew." He says with a sigh.

We remain silent. I stare into the distance. I see girls lifting boards, most probably for their stall while a couple of guys kept cheering them on.

"You haven't told me yet what the tears were for."

I look back at him.

"Since when were you and I best buds that I have to tell you everything?" I ask rudely. He only gives a shrug.

"You always seemed like a girl with no emotions, so seeing you cry like that was quite a surprise. Did Adrien reject you?"