Chapter 16

It's been a year since Sarah's death, and not once have I ever visited her grave. After her funeral, I completely closed myself up.

Standing in front of her gravestone, her name staring me in the face, felt sickening.

Taken from our lives, but never from our hearts. Here Lies Sarah Forbes. Loving Daughter and Friend.

Crouching, I wipe the little dust that's collected.

"Hey, girl," I say softly, smiling at the gravestone, Sarah's face coming into view. I could almost imagine her grumpy and annoyed, turning her face from mine cause I haven't visited her.

A chuckle escapes my lips. A sad one. Heartbreaking. Chest clenching.

"There's so much I need to tell you. It's been hell without you. I guess you really did mean it, when you said, 'I'll haunt you forever when I die'."

The soft breeze calms my nerves. I pull my jacket closer and adjust the beanie cap on my head.

Sighing, I talk to myself on everything that's happened, hoping she's hearing me out.

She's always lent an ear to me, and I believe she would do so even now. Maybe from Heaven.

"...And the jackass. The jerk didn't even bother calling. At least a text." I continue. "I'm supposed to be mad at him. Loathe him. But somehow the thought of being able to see him again brings joy within me. I'm sick ain't I?" I finish with a light laugh.

That's right. I'm going back to France. To Lyon. To the Valentin household.

To Adrien.

That night, a month back after so much of arguing, pleading, a tear here and there, and of course holding Vivienne back from yelling at Dad's face, we came to a conclusion where he said he'd rethink his decision.

That's a good sign, right? I mean, better than an immediate no.

The very next day, everyone left back to France. They had me promise them, that I'll come back for sure.

"Three days back, he asked me out for an evening walk. Just dad and daughter. We had a heart to heart. And finally, he agreed to send me back." I continue talking to Sarah's gravestone.

If someone passing by saw me, they'd report me to the cops right away.

A crazy girl, talking to a grave.

Dad had already spoken to Uncle Cam and aunt Felicity, asking if it's alright to have me live with them again. They were more than delighted. Uncle Cam got a good earful for supporting the kids in flying to America. He just dissed Dad with a laugh.

I can't wait to see him again.

Without further delay, I'd booked a flight back to Lyon. Taken my leaving certificate from the school. Bid farewell to whom I was close to in school, along with the teachers.

Oh, and I most sincerely humiliated Noah Flinn, in front of the entire school, in the cafeteria.

No more Noah Flinn in my life.

What had been the most surprising was how my friends took it in.

I thought they'd be mad at me for leaving again. But they only laughed and sighed relieved. They were happy for me and wished me the very best for a better life.

Ryan had been so happy, he was close to tears. He almost ran downstairs to hug my Dad.

God, it took all four of us to tie him down.