Chapter 4

What usually awaits me when I pass through the school gates in the morning are the stares and watchful eyes. The hateful stares of the majority of the female population and their silent prayers to god to make the earth swallow me whole for always walking beside their so-called prince charming. And then there's those who stare at me trying to figure out why I'm still in their school. It's pretty much exhausting having to walk through all this and enter the classroom. But today my attention was elsewhere.
Ninnon, who was always early and seated in class ready for lessons to begin was standing a few feet away from me by the entrance. She seemed to be waiting for someone.

Today was the day of the most awaited school festival. Adrien left early which was a shock to the world, for final preparations. There has never been a festival which hasn't been praised by the public, so mistakes were not an option. Which is why the lazy bone is working hard.

I walk up to where Ninnon is. She looks my way and gives me a light wave.

"What are you doing here?" I ask and she raised a brow.

"Good morning to you too." She replies. I give her a sheepish smile which catches her off guard. Well, I can't blame her. It's not like I've been all sunshine and glory since I transferred.

It’s been two days since the incident with Ethan and Adrien. I stayed away from school afterward, unsure of how to face Ninnon, Pierre and Ethan. More importantly, I was unsure of myself. But now I suppose I was ready.

"I was waiting for a certain blockhead." She cuts through my train of thought. I stare at her confused.

"Since when do you and baseball head meet up and walk to class together?" Her eyes widen when she gets what I meant and slapped the side of my arm.

"Don't even joke about it. Who would stay for that cerveau d'oiseau? I was waiting for you. You!" She scoffs. Ninnon rarely used, no scratch that, she's never used French words when speaking to me. I guess I ticked her off.

"Ever since that day, you never came to school. As we never exchanged phone numbers, I had no way of contacting you to see if everything was alright. When I came to hand over your bag, it was Vice Prez's Mom who answered the door and told me regretfully that you were asleep. I've been waiting patiently for you to return." Ninnon says sighing. I give her an apologetic smile.

"Sorry about that Ninnon. I bailed on you that day, leaving you to handle all the work." I say. Ninnon and I had been in charge of filling a dozen balloons with water. My class is hosting a water balloon brawl booth. Where you have to hit a certain target with three balloons given to per person to win prizes. Or something of that sort.
While in the midst of filling the balloons, I started feeling sick with my thoughts clouded and left leaving Ninnon behind without a word.

"Yeah, you bailed on me as you put it. I kept waiting but you never returned. I looked everywhere possible, but I couldn't find you." She says to me as we start walking towards the school building. "So I went to the only person, I knew who could help me."

I stop and look at her curiously wondering who this person is. Would it be uncle Cam?

"The Vice prez." She finishes taking me by surprise.

Woah. What?

"I barged in on his meeting with the Student Council President and Secretary. When I told him you were nowhere in sight, the look on his face startled me, Amelia. A mix of worry, fear, and tension. I've never seen him so- so nervous. He just dashed out of the room and I followed him. I don't know when and how, or from where he appeared but when I looked behind me I saw Bird brain following us."