44. slip of feelings

We all would have this one person who we thought would never betray us. And when they did, we would shatter to pieces. And whose fault was that?

No one spoke for seconds, Aviana's eyes were still strained on the receding red raincoat form- Scarlet. This could not be happening, Scarlet would not do that to her and she hoped that was true. Scarlet was the girl who befriended her and showed her what friendship was. Someone must have forced her to this.

"Mikilene must have forced her into doing this," she weakly whispered into the phone, her voice breaking. She must believe Mikilene did this, she must convince herself.

Another silence and then Riaan spoke, "Guys follow her and see if she leads to Mikilene."

Scarlet had almost disappeared from sight. They all slowly stood, Aviana was drowning in her thoughts that she did not even have time to be shocked when Kenya helped her to feet. The rain had stopped now. Aviana's mind was creating new points to vouch for Scarlet and she was running out of them.

It had to be Mikilene.

When Dash, Jayden, and Kenya started walking away Aviana started to go behind them. Riaan's hand circled up her arms, stopping her. "We both are not going." His voice was flat.

"Why?"

Riaan observed her for moments and finally spoke looking behind her. "If there was no Mikilene to the story at all, do you want to be there looking at the truth? It's better this way."

Aviana was far too drained physically and emotionally to argue. And looking at Scarlet was sending daggers to her heart. So she fell in step with Riaan silently as he walked them to the car. He kept holding her as if sensing that she was on the verge of falling to the ground. Aviana literally felt like she was walking on water and that she might drown at any time.

In spite of the exhaustion and turmoil she was going through, she brought out the words that needed to be said. "I am sorry, you know...for that."

He stopped walking his grip losing on her arm. His wet hair was falling over his forehead. He turned towards her as she kept her gaze to the ground. "You don't have to apologize. It was a big blow for me and I unfairly took it out on you."

Aviana looked up at his eyes that were filled with genuineness and hurt. The love she had for him, hidden deeply in a box thrashed at the walls wanting to be let out.

"It's just...when I see you, I feel guilty.
This past year I have blamed my dad and when I see you I am reminded of that." He tucked in a wet clinging strand of her hair behind her ears. "It hurts Aviana. You know why I like you?"

What!

"With you, I am not ashamed to accept that it hurts. And when you hurt I want to stop it. Hell, I want to destroy it."

Aviana's heart constricted blocking the blood flow. His words passed right through her soul, giving it goosebumps. It was not his hands holding her arms. There was a bond between them invisible to neither. The bond connected their souls.

He tucked another strand behind her ear and she wished there were more falling across her face. "I just need some time to process the grief. And if I had been a jerk to you the past two days, I am sorry."

She looked at him in the dark, taking in his words and the way his body was uptight. The clouds had parted away from the moon, the light from which was casting a celestial glow to Riaan. If it was time he needed, she would give him that.

They then drove to his house, neither of them talking. Aviana's mind was back to Scarlet as she sat curled up near Riaan, hugging herself. If it was Mikilene there was a reason. Scarlet had no reason to harm her. No, it cant be.

______________________________________

🤗Thank you for reading, please don't forget to click the star button, it's equivalent to likes on youtube and could be useful for me🤗