Toad Croak

Harry walked into DADA and sat down, everyone was chatting and getting ready for the class to begin.

"Well good after noon!" Umbridge said when the whole class finally sat down.

A few people mumbled "Good after noon," in reply.

"Tut,tut" said professor Umbridge. "That won't do now,will it? I should like you,please,to reply 'Good afternoon professor Umbridge'. "One more time please.Good afternoon class!"

"Good afternoon, Professor Umbridge," the class chanted back at her.

Harry knew this class was going to be long and drag on for a while and when she told them to put their wands away none of the class was having it. She went on about how they were not on the level that they were supposed to be at and how they were taught wrong.

She wrote something on the board about going back to the principles of basic defense and course aims. For a couple of minutes there was silence and the scratching of quills.

"Has everyone got their copy of Defensive Magical Theory by Wilbert Slinkhard?" the toad face lady croaked.

There was a small murmur throughout the class.

"Will try that again," Professor Umbridge said, "When I ask you a question you will answer, so does everyone have a copy of the book."

"Yes professor Umbridge" the class rang dreadfully.

"Good," said Professor Umbridge "I should like You to turn to page five and read chapter one."

They all flipped to the pages in their book ,Umbridge went and sat down at her desk over seeing the class. Harry read the first few lines over and over again and then zoned out the book was very dull. He looked around the class and saw that Ron was just turning his quill absentmindedly in his fingers,staring at the same spot one the page. He looked over at Hermione and was surprised when he saw that the book wasn't even open and she stared at the professor with her hand in the air.

Harry was just staring at Hermione he could never remember when she had ever passed up an opportunity to read. He gave here a questionable look that she saw out of the side of
Her eyes shook her head to indicate that she was not about to answer any questions.

After a few minutes more than half the class was looking at Hermione and they could see the frustration in Umbridge's faces growing. When none of the class went back to reading she finally decided to act like she had just noticed Hermione.

"Did you have a question about the chapter,dear?"She asked Hermionie as if she just saw her.

"Not about the chapter, no," said Hermione.

"Well, we're reading just now," said Professor Umbridge, showing her small pointed teeth. "If you have other queries we can deal with them at the end of class."

"I've got a query about your course aims," said Hermione. Professor Umbridge raised her eyebrows.

"And your name is?" "Hermione Granger," said Hermione.

"Well, Miss Granger, I think the course aims are perfectly clear if you read them through carefully" said Professor Umbridge in a voice of determined sweetness.

"Well, I don't," said Hermione bluntly. "There's nothing written up there about using defensive spells." There was a short silence in which many members of the class turned their heads to frown at the three course aims still written on the blackboard.

"Using defensive spells?" Professor Umbridge repeated with a little laugh. "Why, I can't imagine any situation arising in my classroom that would require you to use a defensive spell, Miss Granger. You surely aren't expecting to be attacked during class?"