Chapter 5: Introductions

Once Raelynn is dressed the following morning, she leaves her room. Mary is already gone to work. Caleb is waiting on the couch in his school clothes, his hair is up in a bun. Carla leaves her room, ready for the day, too.

Caleb looks between his sisters once they're both fully ready and they leave the house. Caleb drives them to the high school and they get out of the car.

"Raelynn," Caleb speaks up, stopping the girl from walking. "Don't forget... introduce yourself to her."

Raelynn nods bashfully and she walks toward the school.
⚪️⚪️⚪️▫️⚪️⚪️⚪️

"Are you sure you want to talk to her?" Rosalie asks Alice as they pull up to the school, at the same time as the Jones siblings.

"No, I'm not," Alice confesses. "But Rose, Raelynn is my mate. You know what it's like to have a mate. It's why you couldn't let Emmett die that day in the woods."

Rosalie frowns. She remembers that day. She knew Emmett was her mate as soon as she saw him and smelled him. Rose couldn't let him die.

Rosalie says nothing as she parks. "Okay," Sue says after a moment. "But if she hurts you..."

"I'll be safe, Rosalie, promise," Alice chirps, suddenly happy. "All I wanted was your support, because I have support from the others."

Rosalie smiles warmly at Alice. "And you got my support, too, Alice. Always."
⚪️⚪️⚪️▫️⚪️⚪️⚪️

"Hi!" Alice chirps as she sits beside Rae in art. "I'm Alice."

"H...hi," Raelynn greets. "I'm Raelynn."

"Where'd you move from?" Alice asks curiously as the two of them get their sketchbooks put.

Raelynn thinks for a moment. She doesn't want to tell the beautiful girl that she loved in a mental hospital for three years because of an ability she wishes she knew how she got and knew more about.

"Seattle," Rae says once she realizes she's been quiet for too long. "I moved from Seattle, but I was born in Bellevue."

"So you're originally from Washington?" Alice asks with a smile. "I was born in Mississippi, but moved here from Alaska."

"I've always wanted to go to Alaska," Raelynn admits, smiling an actual real smile - not a nervous one. "It's always been a dream... Especially in the winter to see the snow."

"It's really pretty in winter," Alice claims and miss Summers enters the room. "We can talk more after class, okay?"

"Okay," Raelynn agrees, and art class begins.
⚪️⚪️⚪️▫️⚪️⚪️⚪️

Alice and Raelynn walk through the hallway together, talking about Raelynn's life. Rae is extra careful not to tell Alice about her curse and the mental hospital.  

"So, this is your first time having a caring family?" Alice asks.

"Pretty much, yes," Raelynn replies. "My dad was mean, rude, judge mental. My mom is loving, accepting, caring. My siblings... Caleb is odd, and he is slightly protective. Carla is sweet. She's a freshman here. I've always wanted a sister and I'm glad it's Carla who was the answer to my prayer of wanting a sister."