Chapter 8: Answers & Laws

Alice rides in Rae's car with her, since she rode with Rosalie to school. Raelynn follows Alice's directions until she pulls up to a beautiful house. It looks about three stories.

Alice opens the front door once the duo are out of the car. Rae soon catches up and she steps inside. The first story of the house has the very open foyer. The front wall is nothing but glass. It is absolutely gorgeous. Off the foyer, is a small living room / den area.

Alice leads Raelynn up a flight of stairs as the others pull up outside. The second floor consists of a good sized kitchen and a living room. All very open, much like the foyer. As Alice had told Rae, this house is safe for the coven and now for Raelynn.

"This place is magnificent," Raelynn breathes as she looks around.

"Thanks," a woman replies with a smile. "Hi, I'm Esme."

"Raelynn," Rae says, but she keeps her hands in her jacket pockets.

"You can shake her hand," Alice whispers. "It's okay. You already know, Rae. Remember? You're safe here."

Esme smiles warmly at Raelynn as she hesitantly reaches her hand out. Esme takes it and her lifetime of thoughts fill Rae's mind as Edward and the others come up, Carlisle included.

Raelynn stuffs her hands in her pockets when she relaxes Esme's and she looks at her feet.

"You must be Raelynn," Carlisle muses. "Your Mary's daughter, right?"

"Yes, sir," Raelynn replies.

"Please, call me Carlisle," Carlisle insists. "Come on. We can talk in my office. I'll tell you whatever you want to know."

Raelynn looks at Alice, her eyes wide.

"It's all right," Jasper assures her verbally, feeling her anxiety. "Carlisle won't hurt you. He just wants to answer any questions you have about us."

"How...?"

"I'm an empath," Jasper tells her. "I can feel your emotions, I can manipulate them, too."

"Please don't manipulate mine," Raelynn says. "Ever."

"I won't," Jasper replies. "Promise."

Raelynn nods before she walks up the second flight of stairs. The third story oft he house consists of the bedrooms, bathrooms, and Carlisle's study. Rae follows Carlisle to a door and he lets her in before closing it and sitting at his desk.

"Are you all right?" Carlisle asks as Rae sits slowly.

"Just nervous," Raelynn replies. "Ever since my dad locked me away for my curse, I've been a nervous person around people who aren't my family."

"You are perfectly safe here, and you won't be locked away again," Carlisle assures her. "You can ask your questions once you've relaxed."

"Thank you," Raelynn whispers and the door opens.

"Raelynn, what do you like to eat?" Esme asks.

"You don't have..."

"I insist," Esme coos.